Having a proble with my Colpitts oscillator prototype, the circuirt matches the simulation but it wont output a waveform.

Molecular_Engine

Joined Feb 22, 2023
Hello everyone, im having trouble with a prototype of a Colpitts oscillator seen in the spice simulation linked to the post. as it can be seen, the circuit generates a 16kHz waveform. However when I went to create a prototype of this circuit. I was seen to get no output on the oscilloscope. Each picture is a different part of the circuit that can be analyzed, I really can't see what I may have done wrong so any input would help. Thank you.

Attachments

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Hello everyone, im having trouble with a prototype of a Colpitts oscillator seen in the spice simulation linked to the post. as it can be seen, the circuit generates a 16kHz waveform. However when I went to create a prototype of this circuit. I was seen to get no output on the oscilloscope.
1. Measure resistance of your coil.
2. Put value of resistance as coil parameter Rser in your simulation file.
3. Check workability of circuit in simulation.

Last edited:

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
Be sure to follow Danko's recommendation. When I put the factory inductance with your value into the circuit I observed a damped oscillation. Plot the time from zero time, and take 1 second as the end time.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
May I ask what you mean by the coil
Coil = inductor = choke.
ADDED:
  • Inductor or coil, a passive two-terminal electrical component
  • Electromagnetic coil, formed when a conductor is wound around a core or form to create an inductor or electromagnet
    • Induction coil, a type of electrical transformer used to produce high-voltage pulses from a low-voltage direct current supply
      • Ignition coil, used in internal combustion engines to create a pulse of high voltage for a spark plug
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil

Last edited:

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Instead of your mess of wires and parts all over the place on a breadboard, if it was built neatly and compactly on a pcb then you and we will see what is connected wrong.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Audioguru has an excellent point. With the components all spread out and connected with long jumpers, it’s not surprising that the circuit doesn’t oscillate.

Plus, I’ve posted a closeup of the area inside the yellow circle. Inside the blue circle, the jumper and resistor lead might be shorted. More importantly, the resistor in the red circle isn’t connected to anything. One end is clearly hanging dead-ended. And the other end may not be connected to anything as well. On a breadboard, it’s easier than you might think to misalign components in different rows.
IMG_4576.jpegIMG_4576.jpeg