Have you seen a ghost?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Cool. I"m also building projectors out of some surplus lenses and halogen bulbs. I'm making it out of plywood, targeting about 5 bucks for each one. Then set them up to project on a variety of surfaces.

It's a matter of shame that I'm an engineer and I don't have the coolest effects (yet)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You could use a fog generator to make a "screen" with depth, then make an LED animation that will only be visible when it is in the fog.

The fog would pretty much only be visible be at night, and provide the transparency you need.

Just a thought.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Personally, I'd design a "smoke screen" (hook up a PVC pipe to a fog machine, and drill holes ever inch or so), and then just use a video projector to display something on the screen. If you make a video with a black background, and only the image you want showing is colored, that's all that would show up.

Llamarama

Joined Feb 1, 2010
I've been volunteering at a victorian water pumping station for over a year now and I have seen a few odd things. On night in the summer I was alone in the main engine house wiping fresh oil onto the exposed steelwork. It was about half 7 in the eveing, dull but not dark. The only light that was on was a small lamp on the gantry about 30 feet above me.

Anyway, as i was working above the well head, i heard a muffled sound, almost like someone saying "hello!", I looked up thinking it was someone else working at the top, and I saw a dark shadow, almost looked like the shadow cast when someone leaned over something. I replied "alreeyt?" as you do, and the shadow dis-appeared. Thinking they'd moved back to cleaning, I continued as it nothing happened. about 10 minutes later I heard faint but definite footsteps from hobnail boots, like someone was wandering around. The distinctive clicking you get from them when you walk on flagstones anyway. I thougth this was odd, as I didn't know anyone with them but thought nothing of it.

After that I went to get a cup of tea, and asked a friend who was working at the top, because they hadn't come for tea. No-one knew because everyone else was in the other part of the building putting a new seal onto the water pump piston. So after tea, me and a couple of mates went up to the top to see if anyone was back up there. We had to open a very heavy door with a thick iron latch that always made a noise when you opened it, and as we hadn't heard anything then whoever was up there should still be up there, yes?

We climbed up the stone steps where I was sure I heard the clicking, but noone was there. So you can imagine we were somewhat "concerned" at that point, then we heard a load of spanners drop at the end of the gantry... We lost our proverbials and sprinted down 2 flights of stairs screaming like 3 year old girls. Ran back to the tea-room blurting out the story to the foreman who'd been working there for 40-odd years and he mentioned that where we were, 2 men had died. One just before the pumping station opened, and one just before it closed. Both had falled from the ganrty down the well.

Turns out a few people had heard hobnail boots, shuffling sounds and just felt like they had been "watched" up there. It was odd and un-nerving, but I still go there, haven't seen anything like it since, though it does go very cold now and again...

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I've been volunteering at a victorian water pumping station for over a year now and I have seen a few odd things. On night in the summer I was alone in the main engine house wiping fresh oil onto the exposed steelwork. It was about half 7 in the eveing, dull but not dark. The only light that was on was a small lamp on the gantry about 30 feet above me.

Anyway, as i was working above the well head, i heard a muffled sound, almost like someone saying "hello!", I looked up thinking it was someone else working at the top, and I saw a dark shadow, almost looked like the shadow cast when someone leaned over something. I replied "alreeyt?" as you do, and the shadow dis-appeared. Thinking they'd moved back to cleaning, I continued as it nothing happened. about 10 minutes later I heard faint but definite footsteps from hobnail boots, like someone was wandering around. The distinctive clicking you get from them when you walk on flagstones anyway. I thougth this was odd, as I didn't know anyone with them but thought nothing of it.

After that I went to get a cup of tea, and asked a friend who was working at the top, because they hadn't come for tea. No-one knew because everyone else was in the other part of the building putting a new seal onto the water pump piston. So after tea, me and a couple of mates went up to the top to see if anyone was back up there. We had to open a very heavy door with a thick iron latch that always made a noise when you opened it, and as we hadn't heard anything then whoever was up there should still be up there, yes?

We climbed up the stone steps where I was sure I heard the clicking, but noone was there. So you can imagine we were somewhat "concerned" at that point, then we heard a load of spanners drop at the end of the gantry... We lost our proverbials and sprinted down 2 flights of stairs screaming like 3 year old girls. Ran back to the tea-room blurting out the story to the foreman who'd been working there for 40-odd years and he mentioned that where we were, 2 men had died. One just before the pumping station opened, and one just before it closed. Both had falled from the ganrty down the well.

Turns out a few people had heard hobnail boots, shuffling sounds and just felt like they had been "watched" up there. It was odd and un-nerving, but I still go there, haven't seen anything like it since, though it does go very cold now and again...
Good story!

I've always enjoyed watching shows like "Ghost Adventures" on the Travel Channel. Your story reminds me a bit of one of their episodes.

Llamarama

Joined Feb 1, 2010
Thanks, I mentioned my story to one of the women who goes says she can "feel" the "energy". She says the spirit's pleased because the whole place is maintained and kept in working order. Not sure about the whole psycic thing, but I can buy the idea of Ghosts more or less. The countless stories you hear from all over the world must mean something, even if lots of them are embellished or exxadurated, there must be something in them. It's just one of those things we can't explain I guess.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thanks, I mentioned my story to one of the women who goes says she can "feel" the "energy". She says the spirit's pleased because the whole place is maintained and kept in working order. Not sure about the whole psycic thing, but I can buy the idea of Ghosts more or less. The countless stories you hear from all over the world must mean something, even if lots of them are embellished or exxadurated, there must be something in them. It's just one of those things we can't explain I guess.
Yeah, when it comes to "psychics", while there is an outside chance that someone might "feel energy" from another dimension or whatnot, I think in most cases it's nothing but a load of BS.

Llamarama

Joined Feb 1, 2010
Many "psychics" are just charlatans, there was a famous case over here with a Psychic Medium called Derek Achora who was caught acting out a bet by shouting that a spirit named Mary, loved a spirit called Dick or something like that, however an edit was leaked out where just afterwards, he turned to the sound guy or something and said "Looks like you owe me £10 now!"