Have You Ever Had A Gun Pointed At You with A Threat

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I hung with a fellow in my early twenties, that was, shall we say, a bit challanged. He was the brother of a good friend. He, as I, enjoyed hunting, so one day we decided to go out together. We arrived at some spot and I started up the path with him bringing up the rear. Out of nowhere he says, what would you do if I shot you in the back. My reply was f... off, and kept walking. He then shot his rifle into the air. I was a bit wobbly but turned around, got in the car and drove off, leaving him behind. Never spoke to him again.

In another instance, my cousin and I were shooting bow at a local park. Without a second thought, he aimed straight up and let an arrow fly. I lost sight of it, and for the 5 or 6 seconds that followed, I felt shear panic. It came down with a thud about 20' from us.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
When you're fighting, people don't often thinking of the enemy as people.

You either have to think of them as animals - or as at least one pilot has quoted "you think only of shooting down the plane - not the person inside it".

I mean for safety anyway - like with a shotgun or rifle. Don't point it someone - when you do, it'll be the one time it wasn't emptied properly.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
My buddy flew to LA to visit friends and relatives. 25 mins after leaving the airport he was shot in a random drive by. Spent like 4-5 weeks in hospital then fled LA asap

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I'll stay safe in the UK guys.

Soz.

If the world pipe band championships are ever in America, I'll pop in though. I'll come and see you.

And the Grand Canyon.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thing is, incidents are rare in the USA. We like our guns, they offer protections we are not willing to give up. Some of it is against our government if it ever goes fascist.

Oz was a bit more like the US, with their guns. Then they banned them, and armed crime went up, not down. Maybe it will come down, I doubt it because it is not the same culture as Britain. Both Americans and Aussies have an edge about us. We express it differently, but it is there. Most Aussies I've met visiting here I've liked, and I got the impression they were having fun too. Culturally I get the feeling we are more similar to each other than the British. In the states you can insult someone and not get a ticket (or whatever it is called in Britain). In the south we tend to be a bit more polite than in New York, but the south is an armed society.

To quote Heinlein, An armed society is a polite society.

atrumblood

Joined May 13, 2012
Closing up shop back when I was night manager at a Subway sandwich restaurant. It was a warm spring night and this guy comes in dressed like it was the middle of winter during a blizzard. The first thing he does is heads for the restroom. He comes back out 10 minutes later and approaches the counter like he wants to order a sandwich. In a very quiet voice he tries to say something to me, but I couldn't hear him and I ask him to repeat him self. He speaks again, and again I can't quite hear him. This time he pulls out a very large hand gun and points it at my head.

At this point I knew exactly what he wanted, and my brain switched over to autopilot. I open the cash drawer and place it on the counter in front of him. I step back and wait for him to take the money. After he has all the money he runs out the door, and screeches away in his vehicle.

We had a silent alarm on hand under the counter, and I had pressed the button numerous times from the moment I saw the gun. After he left I called the police and after reviewing the security tapes I found out that the silent alarm didn't work at all.

I showed up for work the next day and went about my duties much to the surprise of my co-workers who thought I would have for sure quit the next day.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Closing up shop back when I was night manager at a Subway sandwich restaurant. It was a warm spring night and this guy comes in dressed like it was the middle of winter during a blizzard. The first thing he does is heads for the restroom. He comes back out 10 minutes later and approaches the counter like he wants to order a sandwich. In a very quiet voice he tries to say something to me, but I couldn't hear him and I ask him to repeat him self. He speaks again, and again I can't quite hear him. This time he pulls out a very large hand gun and points it at my head.

At this point I knew exactly what he wanted, and my brain switched over to autopilot. I open the cash drawer and place it on the counter in front of him. I step back and wait for him to take the money. After he has all the money he runs out the door, and screeches away in his vehicle.

We had a silent alarm on hand under the counter, and I had pressed the button numerous times from the moment I saw the gun. After he left I called the police and after reviewing the security tapes I found out that the silent alarm didn't work at all.

I showed up for work the next day and went about my duties much to the surprise of my co-workers who thought I would have for sure quit the next day.
An aquaintance of mine was similarly confronted at his pharmacy, but the outcome was different. He pulled his own gun, shot and killed the fellow. 30 some years later he is still messed up. He might of been messed up before that incident, not sure, but seems to have a lot of demons.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was mugged once, but I could see they were amateurs. They looked like they were afraid of their own gun so I wasn't scared. Probably their first armed robbery. Just give them the wallet and watch them run.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I was mugged once, but I could see they were amateurs. They looked like they were afraid of their own gun so I wasn't scared. Probably their first armed robbery. Just give them the wallet and watch them run.
See this is when you should be the most scared. A pro will mug you and know he's not gonna kill you. Some of these kids will just blow your head off and move on like its nothing. I'd much rather get robbed by pro's then amateurs.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It depends. I can imagine the kind of amateurs that are trying to make a rep in front of their peers or are in a hyper-agitated condition, but the 3 that mugged me, I read correctly.

How amateur were they? They had picked a bad place and a bad time. Crowds were approching. It was before dark. Cops were directing traffic one block away. There was no time or opportunity to turn it into a hostage situation and too much chance that they would be seen or pursued if they drew attention with the noise of a gunshot.

Put the same 3 guys in a very dark place with no other people detectable for a quarter of a mile and it might have been different.