Has theBan been lifted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Just a question to the moderation team, has the political ban been lifted? And not been announced? Seems like a lot of political or "quasi political" talk has been happening in different parts of the forums. And when reported they don't get deleted like before. And Even some moderators are participating in the threads. So what is up with the ban on politics?

Do we as a group really want to go down that path again???

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi sb,
Mod Note:
We think your definition of some recent posts as being 'quasi-political ' defines the posts.
Nothing has been posted that would qualify as 'political' in the consensus opinion of the Moderation team, if it does, the appropriate action will be taken.
We do however, appreciate your Reports on posts which could be considered political, it brings the post to attention of the Moderation team .
Eric

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
So let's get things straight, so I can understand. Bringing up things that the president was saying in the same time frame he said them isn't considered political? But like my posts in the voting thread stating the facts that people in power disallowing whole sections of people from voting is?? When the people that are doing it are in the same party.

But some of the mods are participants in the threads, so can't see any thing coming of my reporting, because it is furthering their way of thinking. Thinking that has been shown before.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
My participation is completely irrelevant.

For the record:

No, I do not see a generic discussion of whether being one vote out of tens of millions of votes means your vote does or does not matter as being political.

Yes, I do see trying to inject claims of partisan voter suppression as being political.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
My participation is completely irrelevant.

For the record:

No, I do not see a generic discussion of whether being one vote out of tens of millions of votes means your vote does or does not matter as being political.

Yes, I do see trying to inject claims of partisan voter suppression as being political.
Me thinks thine
Line
Is too fine.

IMHO, both posts are political in nature. As a member, I am dismayed by the posts the moderators deem non-political. I see many posts that I deem political and have personally come to the conclusion, that as far as political posts go, the moderators aren’t doing their job.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
There are posts that discuss politics but are not partisan, and those are usually ok. There are posts that are partisan and those are usually not ok.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Me thinks thine
Line
Is too fine.

IMHO, both posts are political in nature. As a member, I am dismayed by the posts the moderators deem non-political. I see many posts that I deem political and have personally come to the conclusion, that as far as political posts go, the moderators aren’t doing their job.
If the definition of a political discussions has been twisted to mean boring talk about the significance of mathematical identities vs social resonance then all is lost.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
And I see the refusal to accept the facts that it is happening in many states led by just one particular party, and not being owned up to as also being political. You can pretend it isn't happening or affecting things but it does. Cheating to win is never good.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Please continue to use the report button or private messages to discuss moderation issues. Discussion of moderation on open forums is highly discouraged.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It is also highly discouraging to see a moderator involved in threads that are/have been banned. There should be a recusal to participate in controversial topics by mods.
I was in that thread. The mods involvement was to keep the thread on track to being non-political when others were attempting to make it controversial by injecting totally unneeded political comments. Someone didn't like being told they were being political so, we are here with a glass of wine.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And I see the refusal to accept the facts that it is happening in many states led by just one particular party, and not being owned up to as also being political. You can pretend it isn't happening or affecting things but it does. Cheating to win is never good.
It has nothing to do with accepting or not accepting "the facts" or pretending something is or is not happening. Maybe I agree with you and maybe I don't. It doesn't matter, because partisan political discussions are not allowed on this forum -- take those discussions to another forum where they ARE allowed. I would be more than happy to discuss them in such a forum.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I was in that thread. The mods involvement was to keep the thread on track to being non-political when others were attempting to make it controversial by injecting totally unneeded political comments.
I know that later in the thread it was deemed "not to be political". But when it starts out on the day after election, talking about a certain states election, It certainly fits the old, "walks like a duck, talks like a duck...."

That second part must have been told to you in a PM. Because it surely wasn't stated in the thread.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I know that later in the thread it was deemed "not to be political". But when it starts out on the day after election, talking about a certain states election, It certainly fits the old, "walks like a duck, talks like a duck...."

That second part must have been told to you in a PM. Because it surely wasn't stated in the thread.
So what if the election was the predicate to the question. 100% of the precipitants were aware of that possibility but actual words matter, so the question not the motive was being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.