Has anyone ever done food allergy testing with an ohm meter and a magnet?

Tara777

Joined Nov 15, 2016
I read that a famous doctor (now deceased) did an experiment placing one of the wires of an ohm meter on a person's finger and another wire to one of the person's toes on the opposite side. He then placed a ceramic magnet over the body. The ohm meter remained the same. He then placed different foods under the south pole of the magnet. Occasionally, he would find a food that changed the ohm meter reading. He found that the foods that changed the reading were foods that the people had sensitivity to. I am interested in trying this experiment and would like to know which brand and model of ohm meter to get. I have read that analog meters might be more convenient to use than multimeters. I would also need longer leads (like 4 ft.) which I haven't been able to find. Thanks!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There is almost zero difference in ohm meters from different manufacturers. Any meter from $4 to $400 will do the same job.
No manufacturers provide 4 foot leads because they aren't practical for most applications. If you want 4 foot leads, make them. They are made out of insulated wire like this kind:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/159/d6733_6734_101-310606.pdf

Multi-strand, with floppy soft, silicone insulation.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If you don't get a positive result, be sure you duplicate all aspects of the experiment exactly, including the exact same magnet. That should keep you busy.

The claim is BS and has no basis in fact.

John

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
I read that a famous doctor (now deceased) did an experiment placing one of the wires of an ohm meter.... Thanks!
If Max is serious, you should accept his offer, I'm sure he'd build you a nice one for your purposes. It's certainly not a big job, but might involve some details not apparent or easy for you deal with and achieve a tidy solution to.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
If Max is serious, you should accept his offer, I'm sure he'd build you a nice one for your purposes. It's certainly not a big job, but might involve some details not apparent or easy for you deal with and achieve a tidy solution to.
I think that Max, being from Canada, has better access to the Magic Fairy Dust than the rest of the world. To get your experiment to work, lots and lots of MFD will be needed.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Am I the only one here who doesn't care to stop a person from wasting his time?
This experiment might be useless, but the process of doing it is educational. Just learning how to buy wire and cut it will be a new skill.:)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Actually, I was affiliated with an allergy testing laboratory from 1974 to 2001. I have no doubt that Max can build an adequate piece of equipment, but you must be aware that the anonymous famous physician was a victim of his own machine. Reports at the time (I can't remember when) said that when challenged with potato chips to which he was sensitive (the pathology reports did not specify whether they were low-salt or regular) , he underwent a catastrophic protoclastic endoplasmic dysmorphus of his histiocytes and his mast cells underwent spontaneous anisokaryolysis. Apparently, he was quite a sight on the autopsy table.

Be sure to wear appropriate PPE while conducting your experiments.

John

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Am I the only one here who doesn't care to stop a person from wasting his time?
No, I agree that it would be interesting to see the experiment duplicated. I want the OP to come back and tell us what he things of the whole process.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
he underwent a catastrophic protoclastic endoplasmic dysmorphus of his histiocytes and his mast cells underwent spontaneous anisokaryolysis. Apparently, he was quite a sight on the autopsy table.
Thank you for demonstrating the difference between Hypatia's Protege and me in two consecutive sentences.:D
But you broke my spell checker.:(

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
No, no, no. MFD wouldn't work in this application. What you need is NSD (North Star Dust) and Max knows where to get some.
But TS has to hurry because they are in short supply and will be all gone soon when this word gets out. There are 355,467 members on AAC.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Well, I can't help. The Magic fairy dust is the reason.

MFD is still illegal here in Texas. But I heard four more states just legalized it on November 8th. Just need to get a member who lives in the right state to help.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
he underwent a catastrophic protoclastic endoplasmic dysmorphus of his histiocytes and his mast cells underwent spontaneous anisokaryolysis. Apparently, he was quite a sight on the autopsy table.
So basically he shit his pants, curled up and died from potato chips and autopsy tech laughed his ass off while cutting him up?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I read that a famous doctor (now deceased) did an experiment placing one of the wires of an ohm meter on a person's finger and another wire to one of the person's toes on the opposite side. He then placed a ceramic magnet over the body. The ohm meter remained the same. He then placed different foods under the south pole of the magnet. Occasionally, he would find a food that changed the ohm meter reading. He found that the foods that changed the reading were foods that the people had sensitivity to. I am interested in trying this experiment and would like to know which brand and model of ohm meter to get. I have read that analog meters might be more convenient to use than multimeters. I would also need longer leads (like 4 ft.) which I haven't been able to find. Thanks!
Ignore the more obnoxious detractors. If you want to attempt to duplicate the experiment, more power to you. I notice that you gave no indication as to whether you think the "famous doctor" actually discovered something or was just putting out snake oil, which is good. Set whatever your expectations are aside, make an honest attempt to reproduce the results, and only THEN attempt to formulate a conclusion regarding the validity of the previously claimed results.

Having said that, consider that if allergy testing were this easy and produced viable results, it would probably be the way that most allergy testing would be done today. Without doing the experiment you can come to a pretty strong expectation, but that is still all it is and there are plenty of phenomena that would (and in many cases were) dismissed as clearly impossible that turned out to be very real. But even if you believe it to be snake oil, doing the experiment to prove (or lend strong credence) that to be the case is worth doing.