Has anyone ever done food allergy testing with an ohm meter and a magnet?

Tara777

Joined Nov 15, 2016
Ignore the more obnoxious detractors. If you want to attempt to duplicate the experiment, more power to you. I notice that you gave no indication as to whether you think the "famous doctor" actually discovered something or was just putting out snake oil, which is good. Set whatever your expectations are aside, make an honest attempt to reproduce the results, and only THEN attempt to formulate a conclusion regarding the validity of the previously claimed results.

Having said that, consider that if allergy testing were this easy and produced viable results, it would probably be the way that most allergy testing would be done today. Without doing the experiment you can come to a pretty strong expectation, but that is still all it is and there are plenty of phenomena that would (and in many cases were) dismissed as clearly impossible that turned out to be very real. But even if you believe it to be snake oil, doing the experiment to prove (or lend strong credence) that to be the case is worth doing.

Mark Hughes

Joined Jun 14, 2016
@Tara777
I'm rather disappointed at the welcome you've received here. Apparently, engineers can be a pretty tough crowd.
While the commenters might have a great deal of shared experience to offer you, they chose to ignore it and instead expend their energy amusing themselves -- forgetting that their joy comes at the expense of your sorrow.
I'd recommend that you research and post the scientist and the study, so perhaps we can take a better look at what you are interested in. There is a strong likelihood that a physiological response to certain stimulants can be detected by sensitive instruments, including an ohmmeter (when sweaty skin provides a decrease in resistance.) But there is very little chance that the proximity of a food to the south end of a magnet has any effect on the results. At first glance, it appears that you're referring to electrodermal testing -- a non-scientific and unproven experiment.
Regardless, it is something that you are interested in, and you should continue to ask questions to further educate yourself and reach your own conclusions. I hope that the contributors would be mature enough to non-judgementally answer the questions asked and provide more information, or at the very least, refrain from commenting at all.
Mark

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I read that a famous doctor (now deceased) did an experiment placing one of the wires of an ohm meter on a person's finger and another wire to one of the person's toes on the opposite side.
All of the quasi-humorous snarking aside, the respondents are correct - it isn't just that this won't work, it is that it can not work. The same physics that make neurons work make this not work. Even if the exciting potential were something other than DC, it still would not work; but at DC there is no change in flux to be affected by a presence within the field.

Also, here is a clue. The film Apollo 13 made famous a statement by the mission commander, that no one is going to die on his watch. Accepting for the moment as fact that the real life person said that, or something like that, we know his name. And, with about one-day's work digging around various records down there in Texas, we know the name of his next-door neighbor's dog. 45 years ago. If your source can't provide that level of detail for *any* "great discovery" in the last century, it almost certainly is a hoax.

ak

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
All of the quasi-hurorous snarking aside, the respondents are correct - it isn't just that this won't work, it is that it can not work. The same physics that make neurons work make this not work. Even if the exciting potential were are something other than DC, it still would not work; but at DC there is no change in flux to be affected by a presence within the field.

Also, here is a clue. The film Apollo 13 made famous a statement by the mission commander, that no one is going to die on his watch. Accepting for the moment as fact that the real life person said that, or something like that, we know his name. And, with about one-day's work digging around various records down there in Texas, we know the name of his next-door neighbor's dog. 45 years ago. If your source can't provide that level of detail for *any* "great discovery" in the last century, it almost certainly is a hoax.

ak
Nothing like first-hand experience to understand science. I think she should recreate the experiment.

Tara777

Joined Nov 15, 2016
Ignore the more obnoxious detractors. If you want to attempt to duplicate the experiment, more power to you. I notice that you gave no indication as to whether you think the "famous doctor" actually discovered something or was just putting out snake oil, which is good. Set whatever your expectations are aside, make an honest attempt to reproduce the results, and only THEN attempt to formulate a conclusion regarding the validity of the previously claimed results.

Having said that, consider that if allergy testing were this easy and produced viable results, it would probably be the way that most allergy testing would be done today. Without doing the experiment you can come to a pretty strong expectation, but that is still all it is and there are plenty of phenomena that would (and in many cases were) dismissed as clearly impossible that turned out to be very real. But even if you believe it to be snake oil, doing the experiment to prove (or lend strong credence) that to be the case is worth doing.
Hi Wlliam, I found a similar post by a member named Chaimpeck in 2013 entitled "Possible to make a basic electrodermal screening device?" His doctor used an ESD called an EAV Dermatron with a plate on it to test his food sensitivities and said it was "amazingly accurate." I tried to reply to Chaimpeck's post, but got a reply that the post was too old to respond to. I wanted to get his doctor's contact info so I could try to locate this device. A search on Google turned up nothing. Could you possibly contact this member and ask him for the info? Thanks.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
. He then placed different foods under the south pole of the magnet. Occasionally, he would find a food that changed the ohm meter reading. He found that the foods that changed the reading were foods that the people had sensitivity to. !
What is meant by 'sensitivity to' does this mean personal food preference, or an allergic reaction?
There is already medical tests for allergies which are fairly accurate.
Also, did the person actually view the food in question, if so they may have just been personally adverse to that particular item by choice or experience and a chemical response in the body might be triggered to change the resistance reading, skin perspiration etc.
To me there is a lot more scientific research under controlled conditions that would have to be done to claim any kind of scientific validity.
Max.

There is already medical tests for allergies which are fairly accurate.
Fairly is a good word. For me, aggregate molds tested negative. Symptoms (5 years pollen shots) suggested mold allergies. I was tested for specific molds and a few showed up.

For those doing allergy therapy for molds and pollen, YOU have to be proactive. Your symptoms have to be correlated with your states sampling and allergy therapy MUST result in some small response. If it doesn't, you can request your allergist to increase the serum dose for those your allergic too AND show verified presence by a local agency and you have symptoms. Don't get a shot when you have symptoms. Ragweed used to be my highest response and the last time it was tested, it was a big fat zero and that was a HUGE help.