Harley starter current

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

That article is completely wrong and write with a bias.

There’s a scientific reason for all that loathing: 10% of the population was born with a genetic defect variant. Researchers looked at the genetics of about 14,000 people and found a DNA variation believed to be the root cause of the soapy smell and taste some people associate with cilantro.​
A reporter with at least half a brain would have written that correctly...

There’s a scientific reason for all that loathing: 10% of the population was born with a genetic defect variant tastebuds. Researchers looked at the genetics of about 14,000 people and found a DNA variation believed to be the root cause of the soapy smell and taste some people associate with cilantro.​

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Looks like about #4 AWG

Sometimes, when the battery is low, the starter solenoid fails to release and the starter motor cranks until the battery is dead. The solenoid being mechanically stuck, you have to kill the main supply to stop the failure mode. Still haven't decided...big old switch on the battery or a fuse.o_O
Starter solenoid out of a Ford with a panic button.o_O
Maybe once - I've had a solenoid weld its contacts, but if the main switch releases yours, it isn't that.

Maybe a push to break button in series with the solenoid coil might help.

There's often varying degrees of circuitry between the solenoid and the button. Most motorcycles sense the neutral light and won't fire the starter unless you have the clutch lever pulled, some also detect the sidestand and won't start at all if that's down.

Years ago I got a very nice RD 2-stroke twin cheap because one cylinder was intermittent. Eventually I traced it to a dodgy sidestand switch, because the 2-stroke twin vibrates a particular way - the switch was always OK while one cylinder was firing, but intermittent when the other fired.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Customer told me not to add a solenoid that would stop all current to the starter solenoid and starter motor. Some artsy-fartsy whim about, "minimalist design".
Wait until he sees the number of relays I had to add because he wants a switch pod on the handlebars that has a design limit of 5 amps per switch.:D

And don't get too tense about it. It's labeled, "preliminary".

Attachments

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Minimalist design? I think that's the standard term for I'm a cheap ass and won't admit it.

I know a number of people who live by 'minimalist design' and it's only because they are cheap asses. If you go out to eat with them and it's their turn to pay you will always eat at whatever they have a 2 for 1 special coupon for but if it's your turn to pay don't expect them to ever hold back on what they order.:rolleyes:

They pay and a group of 5 eats for under $30. Anyone else pays and not one of them orders less than $30 just for themself.:mad:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Did I miss something while I was standing on concrete until my legs quit?:eek:
Darn the hurts! I forgot how bad it is to stand on concrete all day.:(
If I knew what cilantro is, I would know whether I agree.:D
I am so not a cook. The only "spice" I own is salt.
No pepper or nutmeg or mustard...just salt.:p
I have a 90% full, 26 ounce package of iodized salt, and I don't remember when I bought it.
Probably some time in the last 30 years.:rolleyes:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Your kill switch applies voltage to a relay to activate the kill function. Shouldn't the kill switch remove a voltage to activate the kill function?? I know some bikers that use the kill switch as an on/off switch.
Also, shouldn't the kill switch disable the starter??

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Your kill switch applies voltage to a relay to activate the kill function. Shouldn't the kill switch remove a voltage to activate the kill function?? I know some bikers that use the kill switch as an on/off switch.
I guess I could wire the harness provided, to ground both the spark coils (7 amps), and see if the engine stops before the 5 amp insulation melts.
I just don't know how long the coils can be at maximum current without harming them.

shouldn't the kill switch disable the starter??
The starter motor does not keep the gasoline engine running when there is no spark, so I think I can allow that to continue functioning. If the customer is arriving at his garage, hits the kill switch, and presses the starter button at the same time, I will have to find a way to disable the starter when activating the kill switch.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Also, shouldn't the kill switch disable the starter??
Most of the old bikes I had; the kill switch was just a switch that breaks the 12V feed to the ignition coil.

Later models had a box of diodes hidden somewhere as the end point for various wires from sidestand, kill switch, neutral light etc etc etc................