Need to power my phone when on my Harley motorbike

Compo48

Joined Mar 27, 2009
Hi

I need to be able to power my phone (which is also my GPS) when on my Harley Motorbike. I currently have a fused cigarette lighter adapter connected to my battery and I plug in a 12v to mini USB adapter when I need to charge my phone.

Because of space problems on the bike, the cigarette lighter socket is currently installed in my pannier (saddlebag). I plug in a car cigarette lighter adapter - the output from which is a standard USB so I then use a USB extender (male to female) cable run back from the pannier to just under my seat. Then I use a standard usb to mini usb to connect to the phone.

As you can tell, this is not very elegant.

I would like to do away with the cigarette lighter completely and put in a (very) small adapter under the seat. The adapter could be directly connnected to the battery (or better still the accessory fuse on the fusebox). The output from the adapter could again be a standard USB socket so I can plug in my usb to mini usb charge cable.

I guess I could try and dismantle a cigarette lighter adapter and connect this, but I thought I'd try and see if there's something purpose built (or something I could put together myself).

I'd appreciate any suggestions from anyone.

Neil

Compo48

Joined Mar 27, 2009
Thanks cjdelphi. I've just taken a car adapter apart. It has a small circuit board inside that I think I can use. It takes the 12v from the car lighter socket and has a usb mini for output.

I think I'll just mount it in a small rectangular box that will fit under my seat on the Harley.

Cheating a bit I know, but it'll do the job

Neil