hard to get components

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
I am having some problems obtaining parts for projects mainly i think because i am building from schematics that are years old, typically 1980's, does anyone have any good suppliers for these kind of parts, mainly I.C's?

LM3900
CA3080
LM3403

When i do find a stockist they usually want a minimum order such as $75 which makes it an expensive investment, else they have a minimum order of 100 or 500, obviously way too many for my needs.

Also i need a supplier that would stock all the I.C's i listed above so i don't have to pay postage for 3 seperate orders from various companies, any help would be appreciated.

How do you guys go on about obtaining obsolete parts?

Neil.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
You find them all on ebay. I would however try to find a replacement for them. Strange that the CA3080 is not easily available, I used a few years ago quite often....

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
I recommend Dan's Small Parts and Kits, in Montana.He is currently closed for the months of November, December, and January. Another possibility is canakit.com, located in Canada.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
You find them all on ebay. I would however try to find a replacement for them. Strange that the CA3080 is not easily available, I used a few years ago quite often....
If you search you will find a note to some one who asked about them: the masks for producing that chip were lost in a fire I don not know where.

The only hope is the existing stock around the globe. Otherwise those LM13600??, OTAs as well.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
To add to ErnieM's post, Octopart is another good search engine for parts available from distributors. http://octopart.com/

Once in a while I'll find something from Octopart not found on Findchips. All three parts were available on Octopart as well.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
LM3900: Digikey, Newark, Farnell, Mouser, AvnetExpress, Arrow, FutureElectronics, RS Components, Online Components

LM13700 instead of CA3080 - many vendors have them also.

The LM3403 is basically four 741 opamps in one package. You could select a better opamp by having a monkey do a random Internet search. Almost any voltage feedback opamp would be better. Try a TL074 or TL084.