Hard to Believe.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I like the style of that 1980s X model.........de-wheeled chariot.

But for that much weight, the wheels would be handy.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The first eye-brow raise was when the "pilot" didn't know how o attach the helmet strap to the D-rings.

Now, assuming the fuel is on the back pack, just how much energy does it take to hover a small (60 kg) man above ground (let alone accelerate him) for 200 seconds. Don't just assume fuel, the burn path is too short to use atmospheric oxygen so you will need oxides too. There is no way this little nozzles are going to cut a jet of gas to hover a human. That size works for water but not for a gas.

A 3.55 minute flight? Who measures time that way?

I just wonder if that video was to satisfy people who already invested in the company or to get more people to invest in the company?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I read 10,000 ft. Went straight to the video.

I figured IF a device that size can lift a man 10,000 ft., many of us would be living on the moon.

I thought it was some video manipulation...maybe green or false field. CGI maybe.

The comments on youtube enlightened me.

But the 1980s WASP unit is the real deal.

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
yes I saw the hackaday vid. I believe that to be a fake.

It sure is getting around on net.

The Marines could use something like that. It would be great for me too, if I could strap a chair on it.

I know some ol fishin holes that are hard to get to.

Horse Pucky.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm not so sure the Marines - or anyone - would find it all that useful if they first have to spend hundreds of hours training. And while this guy is still alive for now, I doubt the overall safety would be acceptable to most rational people.

Still, I'm sure it will find a use somewhere if only for thrills.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
If that device was real, a 17-18 yr. old(or even younger 12-13) can learn to ride it in no time.

They pick up bicycling, skateboarding, surfing pretty quick.

Think of the commercial potential.

The manufacturer of such a device would outdo ms and apple in short time.

Such a device would be world breaking flash news.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Not if it costs $6000.

Frankly I don't see it as such a big deal. For who would this be practical? I saw jetpacks 40 years ago. Yawn.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/15/1...acing-jet-powered-flying-hoverboard-interview

I said that we achieved our goal. [Laughs] Because it’s exactly what we tried to do. We covered every mechanical aspect. The plan when we decided to create the Flyboard Air, it was crazy hard because we wanted to make something extremely small, something that looks like a skateboard and not like a helicopter. It would be easy to build something that was like 2 meters and able to fly, it would be easy to do that. But our goal was to make something so small that people would believe it’s a fake, or it’s just an animation. And so when people said that, honestly, we are happy about that. We achieved our goal. Because when people see it in person, they will go crazy. That’s cool.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I thought that one I started this thread with, only needed a couple pints of kerosene to go to 10,000 ft.

10,000 ft. is almost 2 miles. And that's 2 miles up.

Shouldn't that get you to work? We can glide some can't we?