Haptic Relaxation Bracelet components

akarpe

Joined Oct 8, 2022
Hey guys so I’m trying to work on a wristband/bracelet that executes haptic rhythmic vibrations when the user is perceived to be stressed/angry (detected through their heart rate). I’m not very experienced in electronics so wanted to know what components I’d need to do this project.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Welcome to AAC!

It's not just the components. There will be sensors involved, a microprocessor to process the I/O (and its software!), plus any outputs. IF it is delivering any kind of electrical signal to the body THEN there are numerous safety considerations to abide with. Not a simple project. Do you have anything to work from as a starting point?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My kids and grandkids are big on the Apple watches which do just about anything but make toast. Heart rate, blood oxygen and other stuff I really have no need to know but can be yours for between $400 and $800 and less if you don't want to know as much. Of course all the data is also sent to your smart phone. So yes, the technology is out there including the sensors. You just need to note what the smart watches are doing and how. Since all the data is sent to a smart phone I would imagine using Bluetooth the data could be sent back to apply a stimulus of sorts.
that executes haptic rhythmic vibrations when the user is perceived to be stressed/angry (detected through their heart rate).
Just need a transducer on the receiving end to apply a stimulus. While I am not into it my guess is an app could be written for a smart phone. I guess it would start with a smart watch sending data to a smart phone where decisions are made and as required send data for a stimulus on a bracelet of sorts. So start a business plan, look at cost feasibility and see where it goes. :) Just make sure you don't hurt anyone and get sued to oblivia.

Ron

akarpe

Joined Oct 8, 2022
Welcome to AAC!

It's not just the components. There will be sensors involved, a microprocessor to process the I/O (and its software!), plus any outputs. IF it is delivering any kind of electrical signal to the body THEN there are numerous safety considerations to abide with. Not a simple project. Do you have anything to work from as a starting point?
Hey Sam! Thanks for the reply. So In terms of the electrical signal it’s only a haptic vibrator (so a small vibrating actuator type component) which just vibrates inside the bracelet to relax the user
Welcome to AAC!

hey Sam thanks for the reply! not delivering electrical signals to body just a haptic vibrator that ruthmically vibrates inside the wristband… in terms of a starting point do you mean prior knowledge ? Minimal in terms of electronics but am a pretty competent coder.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Did you try vibrating your wrist? I did and it did not calm me when I was stressed. My dog calms me when I am stressed without any haptic vibrations.

The heart rate speeds up when many things happen, not just stress or anger. Exercise also causes the heart rate to speed up.
Your wrist vibrator will run many times each day. The battery in it will be dead soon.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The little phone vibrators are simply a tiny motor with an off-center weight on their shaft. Small but with the motor, yeah probably sucks a small battery down fast.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The little phone vibrators are simply a tiny motor with an off-center weight on their shaft. Small but with the motor, yeah probably sucks a small battery down fast.
Have to agree. Going to be tough putting one of my dogs on a bracelet, especially the care and feeding. :)

Seriously I don't know what would work well for haptic rhythmic vibrations. I think the kids watches vibrate. My phone has haptic touch which is obviously not a big deal since it's not a high end phone.

Ron