Hair clipper wont charge higher capacity battery?

Tom_37

Joined Sep 30, 2020
I replaced the two 750mAh AAA batteries in my hair clipper with two same type but 1100mAh batteries and they wont charge. Is is because its higher capacity?

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
This is unusual. Rechargeable devices such as my electric drill and previous cell phone had higher capacity battery packs available for extended usage. As Keith said, check the charger.

Tom_37

Joined Sep 30, 2020
This is unusual. Rechargeable devices such as my electric drill and previous cell phone had higher capacity battery packs available for extended usage. As Keith said, check the charger.
I replaced with the old ones again and still charging but not with the new batteries.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Are the replacement batteries of a reputable brand from a reputable source, or could they be fakes/rejects?
Can you measure the actual new battery voltages? If they're too low, the charger might take objection and refuse to charge them.

Tom_37

Joined Sep 30, 2020
Are the replacement batteries of a reputable brand from a reputable source, or could they be fakes/rejects?
Can you measure the actual new battery voltages? If they're too low, the charger might take objection and refuse to charge them.
They are slightly used gp batteries. I charged them with desk charger and they have good voltage.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I replaced the two 750mAh AAA batteries in my hair clipper with two same type but 1100mAh batteries and they wont charge. Is is because its higher capacity?
And you made sure the replacement batteries are rechargeable? They won't overheat and explode or some other nasty thing? Do you know anything about your charger? if the higher rated batteries output more current than the charger can overcome.... that could explain why it isn't charging.

Tom_37

Joined Sep 30, 2020
And you made sure the replacement batteries are rechargeable? They won't overheat and explode or some other nasty thing? Do you know anything about your charger? if the higher rated batteries output more current than the charger can overcome.... that could explain why it isn't charging.
Yes they ar rechargable.
How do I know current rating and why does it matter?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Look at the website of GP batteries. They do not make 1100mAh AAA Ni-MH batteries so yours are probably fake ones.
GP Battery company is Chinese anyway. Buy name-brand batteries from a Western company instead.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Yes they ar rechargable.
How do I know current rating and why does it matter?
Here is a datasheet example for an AAA 2 1100mAh:

1601495328573.png

Your charger can't charge everything- it was _designed_ to charge a specific sized battery, based on the output of the battery it expects to charge. If it isn't able to handle a higher capacity battery, it's because it can't output enough current and voltage to overcome the battery (it's arm-wrestling with the battery to charge it).

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Look at the website of GP batteries. They do not make 1100mAh AAA Ni-MH batteries so yours are probably fake ones.
GP Battery company is Chinese anyway. Buy name-brand batteries from a Western company instead.
@Audioguru While I respect you tremendously when it comes to electronics knowledge, I am irritated by the constant knock against Chinese electronics. China makes a lot of excellent electronic components. In fact, they supply the world with the majority of electronic components (out of Zhenzen). Many of the components out there, you can't even acquire unless you by from China, or you can't acquire them at a decent price. I source components from 70+ countries around the world, hundreds of thousands of parts a year. I find the Chinese parts in most cases to be excellent, reasonably priced, and they are big on service and ensuring you're happy with the purchase and quality of components. Displays, motors, semiconductors, passives, actives- everything you can think of, I purchase in quantity.

In the end, buyer beware, and must do due diligence, but painting Chinese electronics all with the same brush is unfair. IMHO.

Tom_37

Joined Sep 30, 2020
Here is a datasheet example for an AAA 2 1100mAh:

View attachment 218426

Your charger can't charge everything- it was _designed_ to charge a specific sized battery, based on the output of the battery it expects to charge. If it isn't able to handle a higher capacity battery, it's because it can't output enough current and voltage to overcome the battery (it's arm-wrestling with the battery to charge it).
That explains it. Thank you.