can I discharge a battery with a 220V hair dryer?

learneager

Joined Jan 19, 2024
I would like to discharge a 12V battery but I don't have any 12V appliance. Can I use a 220V hair dryer to discharge it? Don't know if they are a completely resistive load

learneager

Joined Jan 19, 2024
What is the battery capacity, and how fast do you want to discharge it (and why)?
The battery is 100Ah and I want to discharge it as a final test to know if it's OK. If it takes the corresponding hours to discharge assuming is full, I would be OK.

As Ian0 stated, a hair dryer would take too much time.. my hair dryer is 1200W so it has a resistance of aprox 40 ohms. Correct me if I'm wrong but that means

hours = 100 * 40 / 12 = 333 hours

I'll look for a power resistance then, thanks for the responses ;)

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Is it a lead-acid battery? Is it new? If so, avoid the temptation to discharge it and believe the manufacturer. A full discharge really doesn't do a lead-acid battery any good.

learneager

Joined Jan 19, 2024
Is it a lead-acid battery? Is it new?
Is a LifePo4 lithium batthery.. for what I know, it that be safely discharged to 100%. It has a very strange behaviour.. I asked about on another thread. It's quite new.. it only has few cycles of use

learneager

Joined Jan 19, 2024
Thanks for the link :) didn't know that I had to wait some minutes to measure its open circuit voltage

So, why not stick to 20% as an end point?
The thing is that the batteries (I have two) show more than the 100% voltage according to the manufacturer (13.46V) after charging them with a charger.. so I certainly don't know if I can trust the voltages. I have 13.89V on one, and 13.56V on the other :/
To be sure, I can discharge it to 100% and immediately charge it again to a safer state

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Many hair dryers use a low-voltage motor, and connect it in series with the heating element.
The last time I checked, the motor was in parallel with a tapping off the heating element, with the element acting as a potential divider.