hacking a rigol scope

m3vuv1

Joined Dec 11, 2018
Hi all,i have a rigol DS1052D scope,its a 50mhz model,they make a DS1012D as far as i know its 100mhz bw,i know a lot of rigol scopes can be firmware hacked from 50 to 100mhz by firmware changes,does anyone know if its been done with my model yet without turning it into a doorstop?,i dont care about the logic analyser part of it as i dont have the data pod or leads and wont pay like £200 for them as will never use them TIA

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Hi all,i have a rigol DS1052D scope,its a 50mhz model,they make a DS1012D as far as i know its 100mhz bw,i know a lot of rigol scopes can be firmware hacked from 50 to 100mhz by firmware changes,does anyone know if its been done with my model yet without turning it into a doorstop?,i dont care about the logic analyser part of it as i dont have the data pod or leads and wont pay like £200 for them as will never use them TIA
Rignol knows people were doing various hacks with previous models so I would guess they made at least minor attempts to firm up the differentiation between their various models this time around. If someone did hack it, I am sure it would be well publicized.

m3vuv1

Joined Dec 11, 2018
true,this model has the logic analyser built in so isnt as common as the regular scopes it seems,although its still a DS 1000D series so should be the same mainboard as the standard 100mhz scope.

upand_at_them

Joined May 15, 2010
Rignol knows people were doing various hacks with previous models so I would guess they made at least minor attempts to firm up the differentiation between their various models this time around. If someone did hack it, I am sure it would be well publicized.
Don't be so sure. The newer models have been hacked as well. And the OP's scope is an older model, the sibling of the famously hacked DS1052E (mine is hacked).

@m3vuv1, I don't think anyone wants to take the responsibility of possible ruining your scope. If I had to guess I would say that it is just as hackable as the 1052E, but, like you, I would want confirmation by someone who has done it.

The latest iteration of the 1052E hack simply loads the firmware onto a flash drive for the scope to load. That firmware almost certainly would be different than your 1052D firmware. I personally would not give up the logic analyzer. Do you really need the extended bandwidth? The newer 'Z' scopes are much better and have a bigger screen...Save your money for one?

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
There are several test/measurement companies that charge 200 for each function. Then 200 more to make it run faster. Now the idea is to make it lower cost. Now 159/year. I dislike this idea.

I should be ok with this because Windows, every year "your computer is too slow, now upgrade to a faster version" just more money.

m3vuv1

Joined Dec 11, 2018
well as regards the fw/usb route i understood i had to downgrade to fw version 2.02 first,i got the 2.02 version from rigol,ran that but the firmware shows as 00.04.02 sp1