H-bridge circuit to drive brushed dc motor with 125V and 25A

rfengineer28

Joined Apr 28, 2021
1653872551310.png

The circuit above is what i am looking to implement to drive a brushed dc motor with 125V and 25A. I will be using the IXF210N30P3 transistors, however, after simulating my circuit i get an insane amount of power dissipation according to LTspice. i am swicting my circuit at 4KHz and i have tried switching the gate resistance but nothing seems to work to lower this power dissipation. can i get some feedback on my circuit and possible things to look out for to address this issue?

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Where is the Power-Supply ?
Where is the Driving-Circuitry ?
Do You need Reverse ?
If You don't need Reverse, You can use just 1 MOSFET.

You can also use the 4-FETs for Reversing, and use a 5th, single FET, for PWM.

You're driving those big-fat FET-Gates with only ~100ma of Peak-Current,
but You have ~20-times that amount of Current readily available.
( I can't read the part-number of your FETs,
but they would have to be substantial to safely handle ~25-Amps ).

How did You arrive at the 150-Ohm value ?

Don't forget RFI-Suppression Capacitors across the Motor, or You may smoke your FETs.

rfengineer28

Joined Apr 28, 2021
Where is the Power-Supply ?
Where is the Driving-Circuitry ?
Do You need Reverse ?
If You don't need Reverse, You can use just 1 MOSFET.

You can also use the 4-FETs for Reversing, and use a 5th, single FET, for PWM.

You're driving those big-fat FET-Gates with only ~100ma of Peak-Current,
but You have ~20-times that amount of Current readily available.
( I can't read the part-number of your FETs,
but they would have to be substantial to safely handle ~25-Amps ).

How did You arrive at the 150-Ohm value ?

Don't forget RFI-Suppression Capacitors across the Motor, or You may smoke your FETs.
Hi, the power supply is the 120V. The driving circuitry are those gate drivers that i have on the design, I am using the fan7392 half bridge drivers on each side which i will be feeding the pwm inputs into. I need to be able to move my motor in 2 directions which is why i am using the H-bridge configuration. for all 4 transistors i am using the IXFB210N30P3 power fets.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I can't see. I think the "power loss" is just at turn on or off. It is not there all the time.
Post your circuit so we can play with it.
Make certain you turn off, wait 50 or 100nS then turn on the next FET. (top/bottom) (shoot through loss)

rfengineer28

Joined Apr 28, 2021
I can't see. I think the "power loss" is just at turn on or off. It is not there all the time.
Post your circuit so we can play with it.
Make certain you turn off, wait 50 or 100nS then turn on the next FET. (top/bottom) (shoot through loss)
Thank you for your response, i have attached my circuit. i have also been encountering a fair amount of ringing when i utilize a small resistance on my high side gates for some reason.

Attachments