GPS receiver data transfer using RF transmission

naumankalia

Joined Feb 19, 2016
Hi all

I want to develop a miniature system using GPS receiver, a micro-controller, an RF transmitter and its receiver. The idea is to acquire lat/long of buoy dropped in sea which is equipped with miniature GPS receiver (with associated circuitry) which can send its position (lat/long data) to a an aircraft/helicopter few Kms away using some type of RF transmission. During initial search, i came across a "Conexant’s Jupiter Low Power (LP) Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver" and FreeWave’s ZumLink 900 Series Ethernet Radio for RF transmission but i think these are bit costly and overkill for this task.

Kindly help me for selection of low cost commercially available items for this task.

Thanks & Regards

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Because you are on water and communicating with an aircraft, line of sight should be excellent. It is possible that LoRaw would be a good choice for this application.

What country are you in?

naumankalia

Joined Feb 19, 2016
Because you are on water and communicating with an aircraft, line of sight should be excellent. It is possible that LoRaw would be a good choice for this application.

What country are you in?
Thanks for help. I am from India. can you suggest some specific miniature LoRaw modules for buoy please?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I am not familiar with the radio laws and regulations in India. The other alternative is a small telemetry transmitter of the dedicated type, but that might require licensing.

The LoRa market changes a lot, but the Heltec CubeCell is very good. It also includes battery management for a LiPo cell. Since LoRa is tw—way, it will also give you control. For example you could include a strobe the aircraft cold turn on if they need it, and it wouldn’t use battery otherwise.

NOTE: You have to find out which ISM frequency is legal in India and buy the right radio for that. Also, though Heltec sells direct, you might find the same pricing when shipping is considered, with faster delivery.