Good or Bad Printer

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010

Any suggestions, Thank you.

Brother HL-L2380DW Wireless Monochrome Laser Printer. All in One

I'm done with cheap InkJets purchasing the ink then running out so fast and skipping out of order restarting etc. I think it's a ploy for people to buy more ink.

I think it cost's more than gold by weight.

kv

Joined Nov 30, 2010
In my opinion, all wet ink printers are crap.
I bought a black&white laser printer about 7 years ago and I have only installed one, "toner" cartridge. ($70)
It took me 5 years to use up the, "starter" cartridge it came with. If I was using a wet ink sprayer, I would have gone through $5000 worth of ink cartridges by now.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
IMO, any laser printer is better than inkjet for B&W printing.
I'm done with cheap InkJets
I arrived at that conclusion more than a decade ago. Inkjet printer was always clogged when I wanted to use it and had to feed it new cartridges.

I bought a used Lexmark Optra E+ for $30 about a decade ago to use for all B&W printing. Toner refills were costing me $10 for about 5000 sheets (their number because that's for 5% area coverage and I use that printer for my toner transfer printing). Finally gave up on color inkjet in 2008 and bought a used Phaser 6200DP. $25 high capacity color toner cartridges last 4 to 9+ years for my printing requirements.

I use my HP all-in-one as a scanner. I bought a set of cartridges 6-8 years ago after the starters ran out, but haven't installed them.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Brother HL-3170CDW Digital Color Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex, the wife wants a color printer, not a terrible price at $199. I'll have to purchase the other one for everyday type stuff.

Thanks,

kv

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Brother HL-3170CDW Digital Color Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex, the wife wants a color printer, not a terrible price at $199.
I scanned the specs for that printer and couldn't tell if it was single pass. The multi pass printers have to shuttle the paper around a lot for color.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
If you have an inkjet printer, order from Amazon the aftermarket brand "Sofia Global". Made in China and you can get two full sets of cartridges for a Canon (CMYK with 2x double size black - 12 total cartridges) for $19 including shipping. They look great and last as long as canon.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I gave up on ink jet printers a long time ago when I realized how much it was costing.
I now have two laser printers, one B&W and the other colour, both Samsung and wi-fi networked.
I also found out how easy and cheaper it is to refill the toner cartridges

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
One thing to remember, if you will ever be using the printer for 'toner transfer' PCB's, Brother toner doesn't play well with that.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I just wait until one of my screwball buddies who will spend $200 a year on cheap printers that run out of ink right away rather than buy a good $400 laser unit that would last for years quit then get their old ones 'for parts' when they buy their new one.

After that I just reload the ink cartridges from generic a refill kit I have and run them until they won't work at all.
Which so far the last printer I got has ran for about 4 years now and I have 4 more on standby for when that one eventually does quit. :D

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I've had a Brother wireless all-in-one for several years and like it a lot. It was about $50 on sale. I've never really tried to print photos with it, which my old Epsons were good at. But this Brother always gives perfect prints, something that was rare with the Epsons. Those things would always have clogged jets, and they use ink to clean themselves. The printers were cheap but the ink would kill you. The Brother ink is more reasonable and like I said, it always works. Highly recommended.