Glad I'm not a passenger

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I live upwind from Canada's largest international airport and see many jets climbing away. Lately, fewer airplanes but they are empty (no passengers or their baggage, they go to get gloves and masks for nurses) so they are climbing very steeply and are much higher than before when they fly past my home.

All my electric radio controlled model airplanes can climb or hover vertically, even the slow Piper Cub. I forgot, my F-16 jet cannot because it ain't got an after-burner.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello,

Recently a Senate committee on aviation safety took place grilling Stephen Dickson the FAA Administrator about the safety of the 737 Max. He is reluctant to respond to many of the questions with yes or no.

It is amazing that so many crashes took place before the plane was grounded. I thought there were only a couple. It is attributed to the lack of response on the part of the FAA.
Also, it is being said that the families could not sue because Boeing says that the FAA passed the design so it is not responsible. All the senators that questioned the Administrator though said that Boeing should be responsible.

Some of the stuff i have heard from the families are stories of real horror about what their family members experienced just before the crash. As long as 6 minutes in horror before the actual crash.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi,

That's cool but i think they forgot one...
16. If the wheels no longer can turn do NOT try to land.

:)
"Not trying to land is not an option."

Is there an alternative to landing when you run out of fuel?

Unless it's on water, marsh, or very soft field, I would land gear down regardless, assuming you have a choice.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I liked No 7. A lot.
I am less convinced those are actual regulations from that year. 1920 was after WWI and aviation was quite advanced compared to 1905. However, that advice is absolutely accurate. Crashing with one wing low will likely result in a cartwheel with a very low survival chance. One is taught to be sure #1 the wings are level when/if you crash. If you are tempted to turn and land on the T.O. runway, keep the wings level while turning.

Take the UA crash in Sioux City, Iowa in 1989 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232). The pilots did an amazing job, but one wing dipped just before touch down. There was an amazing number of survivors, but had the plane landed wing level, there likely would have been many more.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I am less convinced those are actual regulations from that year. 1920 was after WWI and aviation was quite advanced compared to 1905. However, that advice is absolutely accurate. Crashing with one wing low will likely result in a cartwheel with a very low survival chance. One is taught to be sure #1 the wings are level when/if you crash. If you are tempted to turn and land on the T.O. runway, keep the wings level while turning.

Take the UA crash in Sioux City, Iowa in 1989 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232). The pilots did an amazing job, but one wing dipped just before touch down. There was an amazing number of survivors, but had the plane landed wing level, there likely would have been many more.
Hola John I suspect that rule 7 can hardly be construed as explaining nothing about the level of the wings but just not deviating. As you know, non-native here and just a seaman.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
1594416800667.png

Any pilot knows that "land straight ahead" means no turning and wings level.

It is possible to turn with wings level, and I witnessed a situation where a Continental pilot (left seat) took off in a Cherokee 140 from our local flying field One magneto failed and the other was weak. He negotiated a very slow turn to return to the take-off runway and landed safely (he owned the airport, BTW). He skidded the turns to maintain wings almost level throughout. Many of the accidents one reads about involve less skilled pilots. He never made the news, which was good news. That directive applies doubly to light twins. So many of their accidents can be attributed to a pilot getting nervous and trying to return to soon. There was one, fatal accident in a Twin Comanche at the Spirit of St.Louis airport in the early 1970's that I remember. That twin is somewhat under powered, but had the pilot just flown straight out and above minimal controllable airspeed, he probably would have been OK.