Glad I'm not a passenger

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Over-reliance on the autopilot was cited as a contributing factor in Air Asia 214 crash n San Francisco:
Wikipedia said:
The NTSB determined that the flight crew mismanaged the initial approach and that the airplane was well above the desired glidepath. In response the captain selected an inappropriate autopilot mode, which without the captain's awareness, resulted in the autothrottle no longer controlling airspeed. The aircraft then descended below the desired glide path with the crew unaware of the decreasing airspeed. The attempted go-around was conducted below 100 ft by which time it was too late. Over-reliance on automation and lack of systems understanding by the pilots were cited as major factors contributing to the accident.
That on was on a clear, smooth day. Obviously, mismanagement played a big part too.

Here are some not so graceful "arrivals" at Birmingham, England. Even good pilots can miss an approach. It would be an interesting, but potentially expensive test to have auto-landing done under the same conditions.

John

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Over-reliance on the autopilot was cited as a contributing factor in Air Asia 214 crash n San Francisco:

That on was on a clear, smooth day. Obviously, mismanagement played a big part too.

Here are some not so graceful "arrivals" at Birmingham, England. Even good pilots can miss an approach. It would be an interesting, but expensive test to have auto-landing done under the same conditions.

John
Not to mention risky too...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
WRT the first video, wouldn't be overall safer if the computer landed the plane? The pilot could be backup.
Very debatable point. Just as with calculators and computers and all kinds of other examples, if you let the system do your thinking for you, then pretty soon you can't do the thinking for yourself even under ideal conditions, let alone under high-stress time-critical situations. As with most skills, high-performance piloting and emergency management skills are very perishable and need to be practiced and reinforced on an ongoing basis.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
@WBahn : +1

You are either the pilot or a passenger.

John
I'm an instrument-rated private pilot, but am pretty low time with something just shy of 400 hours pilot in command time. I haven't flown for over ten years and am in the process of getting my medical reinstated so that I can start flying again, with an eye on getting my CFI (certificated flight instructor) so that other people can pay for the bulk of my flight time. Unfortunately, my prior medical history is making that quite a convoluted journey.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Staying on-topic, I'd say he is in a bad spin and hope he recovers in time. John
Nice comment, John. Empathy and compassion are a rarity these days... especially when talking about the "spoiled rich kids" the media likes to talk about so much...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Here's another case in which I'm glad I was not one of the "peasants" aboard that plane...
While I have very little sympathy for spoiled brats that think their money gives them the right to do as they please, I do think that even having the potential for up to twenty years in prison for this is absurd.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
While I have very little sympathy for spoiled brats that think their money gives them the right to do as they please, I do think that even having the potential for up to twenty years in prison for this is absurd.
And a slap on the wrist would be ridiculous... I'm not a judge, but I'd probably give him 30 to 90 days plus community service...
On the other hand Fox doesn't mention it but CNN does, death threats are a serious issue, especially on a plane...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And a slap on the wrist would be ridiculous... I'm not a judge, but I'd probably give him 30 to 90 days plus community service...
On the other hand Fox doesn't mention it but CNN does, death threats are a serious issue, especially on a plane...
I agree -- I would have in mind something similar; 30 days to six months plus community service. Personally, I'd favor a real good old fashioned spanking to boot. I also don't consider what he was saying a credible "death threat".

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This just goes to show that there is a big difference between he who earns his money and he who spends it.
Huge difference.

While there is little chance that I will ever be wealthy, we hope to raise our daughter so that she will be -- and that she will be prepared to handle whatever level of wealth she does end up with and that she will be prepared to raise her children to deal with well with wealth.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
One of the lessons to be learned from those photos is that if you are going to crash, be sure the wings and fuselage, if possible, are level. That is, you don't want to be turning and cart wheel when you crash. Fatality rate is much higher in that circumstance.

John

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
One of the lessons to be learned from those photos is that if you are going to crash, be sure the wings and fuselage, if possible, are level. That is, you don't want to be turning and cart wheel when you crash. Fatality rate is much higher in that circumstance.

John
Yep. The key to surviving a crash is, first and foremost, don't get into one. That means making sure that both the aircraft and the aircrew are up to the flight. Make sure that the aircraft is properly maintained, serviced, balanced, and fueled for THAT flight. Make sure that the aircrew is properly trained, rested, and briefed for THAT flight. This includes proper flight planning taking distance, terrain, and weather into account. The most critical decision that is made on any flight is the decision to start the engine -- don't succumb to get-there-itis and takeoff on a flight that should have been postponed or cancelled altogether.

Once airborne, don't be so in love with your planning that you are unwilling to abandon it if conditions change. Stay ahead of the airplane, stay aware of your surroundings, and don't be unwilling to turn back or divert. Land somewhere safe and wait out bad weather -- even airliners do that.

If something does happen to force an off-field landing, maintaining control of the airplane is the ONLY thing that matters -- forget all else if that is what it takes. The saying is that there are 3 8's in aviation, Aviate, Navigate, Communicate -- in that order. The chances of surviving a small plane crash that makes a fully-controlled emergency landing are actually pretty high.