Glad I'm not a passenger

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
From the Seattle Times:
The company said it will change the MCAS software to give the system input from more than one AOA sensor. It will limit how much MCAS can move the horizontal tail in response to an erroneous AOA signal. And when activated, the system will kick in only for one cycle, rather than multiple times.
'Juuussst a bit light on the sanity checks there, buddy.' Wow.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
My limited understanding of MCAS is that it was designed to maintain the expected effects of 'trim' on the MAX 8 with older models. Trim in this case means being able to have the yoke in a neutral position after the yoke was adjusted to the desired flight vector. The trim was operating incorrectly under MCAS control so a simple trim stability control switch disconnect should have stabilized the flight control.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Maybe I am missing a relevant detail. If the vessel's staibility is not at stake, what is the point in trying to evacuate such a huge amount of people which, as in many cruise ships, tend to be old and in a high percentage, certainly not skilled in just walking the decks of a rolling ship?

Had the chance to watch people being picked from a vessel in rough seas. It is not just the moment but the travel to destination hanging up there. Not an ideal pendulum precisely.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Maybe I am missing a relevant detail. If the vessel's staibility is not at stake, what is the point in trying to evacuate such a huge amount of people which, as in many cruise ships, tend to be old and in a high percentage, certainly not skilled in just walking the decks of a rolling ship?

Had the chance to watch people being picked from a vessel in rough seas. It is not just the moment but the travel to destination hanging up there. Not an ideal pendulum precisely.
The way I understand it, they had engine failure, and were at risk of being dragged adrift into nearby rocks.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

That is what I can't figure. While it might be uncomfortable staying aboard, evacuation is many times more dangerous.

I took a safety at sea seminar in Annapolis and they stressed to us how dangerous a rescue can be. It is especially dangerous in a small sailboat Where any open deck area is so close to standing rigging. Basically you have the cockpit area and that is about it.

They told us most boats are still afloat long after the rescue.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
That is what I can't figure. While it might be uncomfortable staying aboard, evacuation is many times more dangerous.

I took a safety at sea seminar in Annapolis and they stressed to us how dangerous a rescue can be. It is especially dangerous in a small sailboat Where any open deck area is so close to standing rigging. Basically you have the cockpit area and that is about it.

They told us most boats are still afloat long after the rescue.
Same heard here.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The way I understand it, they had engine failure, and were at risk of being dragged adrift into nearby rocks.

Seems a safer way to do this like getting a tug out there to at least keep the ship in position. I wonder how far offshore they were?

There is also anchoring. But they would need to be shallow enough to do that @atferrari might be able to tell use the max anchoring depth of a ship that size. There would be additional problems with that kind of wind. The stress forces must be enormous on a ship of that size.

If I had to guess, I would say they were trying to keep passengers happy by getting them off now. They rolled the dice on the hazard of such operation.

That said those big ships are basically not seaworthy without power.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
There is also anchoring. But they would need to be shallow enough to do that @atferrari might be able to tell use the max anchoring depth of a ship that size. There would be additional problems with that kind of wind. The stress forces must be enormous on a ship of that size.
Yes, enormous.

Have no idea about the maximum possible depth for those beasts. Maximum depth relates to how long the anchor chains are to ensure the catenary has some two or three shackles lying on the bottom. Here, "shackle" means 90 feet of chain (little more than 27 meters). But you know that, SP!

My last vessel, a Panamax bulk carrier, had 9 or 10 shackles in each chain locker IIRC.

Staying at the ancor with heavy swell, I suspect could be madenning for passengers. Experienced that at Bengazi (or Tripoli) twice.

You know, anchoring for refuge, means trying to stay behind a natural protection. It seems they could not even try that. ¿?

Staying adrift in heavy weather offers the risk of your vessel being caught in resonance vis a vis the waves in way. Something I learnt to avoid when handling her in bad weather.

Our navigation law calls the voyage "aventura marítima" for a reason. Oh sí.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://news.usni.org/2019/07/02/14-sailors-die-on-secretive-russian-nuclear-submarine
A fire that broke out on a secret Russian submarine has killed 14 sailors, according to a statement from the Ministry of Defense in Moscow.

“On July 1, 14 submariners – sailors – died in Russian territorial waters as a result of inhaling combustion products aboard a research submersible vehicle designated for studying the seafloor and the bottom of the World Ocean in the interests of the Russian Navy after a fire broke out during bathymetric measurements,” read a translation of the statement from the state-controlled Tass news service.