Giving up on Radio Shack

mbxs3

Joined Oct 14, 2009
I think if your book is aimed at an audience whose electrical experience/knowledge is beginner-novice, having a reference to find parts described will ease the learning curve and many frustrations when it comes to building the circuits described.

If the aim is for an audience with a higher skill/knowledge level, then putting part references is probably irrelevant.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of the problems though, is Radio Shack has reduced their parts stock to a very limited value set. I will still use them if they happen to carry what I am writing about, but I am no longer going to limit myself to what they happen to have.

My theory is there is a constant tension between management/sales vs. accounting. Accountants killed Circuit City when they decided to lay off the experienced help because they were paid more, leaving people who couldn't pound dirt to sell sophisticated equipment to consumers.

Radio Shack has the same problem in my opinion. Their accountants want to keep their stock low, not considering that a core business for Radio Shack is hobbyists and parts. They have almost destroyed the company. Radio Shack seems to be making a slight come back, but their days as a parts provider is mostly gone. The other thing many accountants miss is customer loyalty. Once it is gone it is much harder (if not impossible) to regain.

If Radio Shack resumed carrying a basic stock of parts I would rethink my decision, but I'm done limiting myself to their inventory.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Hey Bill, I've not seen you mention Allied Electronics. Local to you actually. I use them almost exclusively since they are just a one day ship to most of Texas. They seem to have just about everything Newark and Digikey have and sometimes are asking a little less for it, but not always.
www.alliedelec.com \

There is one Radio shack in SugarLand that seems to be much better stocked than most with almost every item electronic part they have in their catalog. I visit them often, and browse. They are almost next door to a Halfprice books store. :)
I also use Allied. I would like to know where is this super radioshack in sugar land. I live there (almost) and Haven't stumbled upon it yet.