Getting Aquainted; New Member

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Greetings fellow geekizoids,

I signed out from ETO for the last time on Sunday. Too many trolls and abusers there. Looking around for a new place to talk shop and came across this site. I think I like it better already. I've enjoyed tech talk for years now, but have been running a little short of time these days. Mostly now, I lurk, tossing in a comment on interesting discussions. I like helping out with projects as time allows. I have a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and a master’s degree in system design. I work as an FPGA developer for a defense systems contractor. My specialty is in digital system design, but I like to talk a little analog as well. Other interests are general sciences ( natural science, mechanics, economics, political science, etc ) sailing, motorcycling, canoeing, carpentry... whatever. Also, besides my day job, I have a nascent real-estate firm where I am the CEO, CFO, leasing agent, repair man and janitor. So, I don't have the time for discussions that I used to have. However, I gotta get some shop talk in every once in awhile :)

Look forward to meeting you'all.

Brownout.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Nice to meet you. I recognise the name from ETO. I haven't been back there for some time, but I believe you answered one or a few of the questions I posted over there. Thanks for that.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Welcome to AAC Brownout. We are always glad to have new members. If they have some electronics experience to help us help others, even better!

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
You will need to get to the 10 post count before full forum rights kick in. Posting in the off-topic forum does not contribute to your post count.

hgmjr

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi Brownout! Welcome to AAC :)

I hate to tell you, but yes, I'm here as well :p

In all seriousness, I hope there are no hard feelings between you and me, and I hope you are doing well. I am sorry to see you go from ETO, but I hope you'll find a good family-like atmosphere here as I have.

I look forward to your contributions :)

Best wishes,
Der Strom

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You'll fit in well here I suspect. We make it a point to keep it friendly for beginners, the rest follows.

I don't have very many posts at ETO, but you may recognize the avitar.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Thanks for the welcome. I do recognize a number of members here. Glad to know this is a friendly site to users.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
ETO comes very close to being a sister site IMO. The mods are good people, it is some of the users I have a problem with, but I can hold my own against them if needed.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Too many trolls allowed to roam ETO. I gave up after years of trying unsuccessfully to get the mods to enforce the site rules.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We get a lot of that here. I have suggested their site for those who can't keep it civil (but know their stuff).

It is always a balance, different sites like it different ways. I searched for a while before I found AAC. After I found it I really settled in and made it mine.

Seen my blog?

I've also drawn a nice pile of schematics, some of them are dudes, but there are gems here and there.

One of the core things is beginners are allowed to ask questions without being put down. This is offset by some topics not being allowed, such as transformerless power supplies and automotive topics. We get a lot of those, it keeps me and the other mods busy.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Hello, Brownout, welcome to AAC.

This forum works better than most largely because the mods here don't regard themselves as policemen. Instead they actively participate in threads and offer useful advice (although they may pull your leg as well).

This is also possible/helped by the fact the most ordinary memebers here are polite and those who are not get short shrift.

whose round is it by the way?

go well