Get ceiling fan/light to work with wall switch

tmoneyhoy

Joined Jan 16, 2024
So in three different rooms in my house the wall switch controls the nearest outlet. This is particularly annoying in my living room because the switch controls the TV. I’d prefer to have the switch work to where it can control the ceiling fan/light. How do I make these outlets permanently on as well as have the wall switch control the fan?

Thanks

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
How do I make these outlets permanently on as well as have the wall switch control the fan?
If you have to ask how to do it, you're not competent enough to work on the wiring and should hire an electrician.

Rewiring the switch to switch something else will likely require routing wires to that box. Electricians will have the knowledge and tools to install any additional wiring required.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, it is possible, but first:: Is there already a ceiling fan/light?? Did you install it, or somebody else?? The wall switch controlling a wall outlet is a stupid thing left over from the 1950's, when the concept was that a room would have a floor lamp that the outlet would control.. That was done because it was cheap, no matter that it was also stupid. (YES, I am being very critical of those folks)
d1324 has it right, about not doing it yourself. Mains power and house wiring have dangerous voltages and power levels and aside from shocks and electrocution there is also the fair chance of setting up to ignite a hidden fire at some later time. Most of the deadly wiring errors do not trip a breaker or pop a fuse, they just get hot and start to burn things, mostly out of sight.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So in three different rooms in my house the wall switch controls the nearest outlet. This is particularly annoying in my living room because the switch controls the TV. I’d prefer to have the switch work to where it can control the ceiling fan/light. How do I make these outlets permanently on as well as have the wall switch control the fan?
What is controlling the fan/light right now?
Are they on a separate switch? Or very unusual if they also are controlled at the same time as the TV outlet.
IF it is just the outlet, for starters you could make the outlet permanently on by jumpering out the switch, or remove it all together and put a blanking plate on.
For the fan/light. you would need to know how it is presently configured.

tmoneyhoy

Joined Jan 16, 2024
OK, it is possible, but first:: Is there already a ceiling fan/light?? Did you install it, or somebody else?? The wall switch controlling a wall outlet is a stupid thing left over from the 1950's, when the concept was that a room would have a floor lamp that the outlet would control.. That was done because it was cheap, no matter that it was also stupid. (YES, I am being very critical of those folks)
d1324 has it right, about not doing it yourself. Mains power and house wiring have dangerous voltages and power levels and aside from shocks and electrocution there is also the fair chance of setting up to ignite a hidden fire at some later time. Most of the deadly wiring errors do not trip a breaker or pop a fuse, they just get hot and start to burn things, mostly out of sight.
Yes there is already a ceiling fan/light that I installed, but I just replaced the old fan so I just rewired it. I wasn’t the one to install it initially. And I agree it is very dumb maybe it made sense in the 50’s or 70’s (when my house was built).

tmoneyhoy

Joined Jan 16, 2024
What is controlling the fan/light right now?
Are they on a separate switch? Or very unusual if they also are controlled at the same time as the TV outlet.
IF it is just the outlet, for starters you could make the outlet permanently on by jumpering out the switch, or remove it all together and put a blanking plate on.
For the fan/light. you would need to know how it is presently configured.
Currently to turn the fan/light on I have to pull the cord hanging from the ceiling fan. I may try and make the outlet permanently on and leave the wiring from switch to fan up to a professional.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, so you installed the fan/light assembly, and somebody else had run power to it already. If there is access available above then adding a connection to the existing wall switch will be possible with a reasonable bit of effort. (Been there and done that a few times.)If there is a finished room above with a floor, then it gets a lot more complicated, or more expensive. But if it is open above the ceiling than it is just a matter of running the proper wire pair from the fan having box to the existing switch box. Please let a qualified electrician do that. At the same time the electrician can make the switched outlet constantly on.. Running the wire down inside the wall to the switch box will be the challenge.. Got to have the right tools.

Last edited:

tmoneyhoy

Joined Jan 16, 2024
OK, so you installed the fan/light assembly, and somebody else had run power to it already. If there is access available above then adding a connection to the existing wall switch will be possible with a reasonable bit of effort. (Been there and done that a few times.)If there is a finished room above with a floor, then it gets a lot more complicated, or more expensive. But if it is open above the ceiling than it is just a matter of running the proper wire pair from the fan having box to the existing switch box. Please let a qualified electrician do that. At the same time the electrician can make the switched outlet constantly on.. Running the wire down inside the wall to the switch box will be the challenge.. Got to have the right tools.
Thanks for you input. I’ll get an electrician.