Embedded, using two colour led strips for my ceiling light

Karthick pannerselvam

Joined Mar 10, 2021
Hi All.,
I am using two colour led strips for my ceiling light. During switch off/ on ,first led strip will glow and after period of interval of time again switch will be off / on second led strip will glow(1 st led will off) , and thrid time siwtch off/on (both led strips should be on)
Eg:-
1st time Switch on - white led strip ON
Switch off - all lights OFF
2 nd time switch on - warm white ON
Switch off - all lights off
3 rd time switch ON - both led ON
Switch off - all lights off
Switch on/ off can be done between small intervals of time and this can be do without microcontroller . So kindly help me for circuit design.

Thanks in advance

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
That’s a standard switch for a three-way light. It can be used with the lower DC voltages used with LEDs. They can be purchased at a hardware or DIY store (like Lowe’s or Home Depot in the US)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That’s a standard switch for a three-way light. It can be used with the lower DC voltages used with LEDs. They can be purchased at a hardware or DIY store (like Lowe’s or Home Depot in the US)
It seems the TS wants to cycle: daylight, off, warm white, off, both, off. This is going to require some sort of state storage. Doing it any other way than with an MCU is going to be a pain.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
As you don't want to use a microcontroller I suggest using a CD4017 Use a debounce circuit to clock the CD4017 on the falling edge of the signal from the switch. You will have 3 on states so use states 0, 1, 2 Connect state 3 back to the reset pin to make it loop back to state 0. Logical AND the state of your switch with each of the outputs (0, 1, 2) Connect the inputs of one OR gate to the output of states 0 and 1 AND gates The output of that OR gate will switch the white light on. The other OR gates inputs will be connected to the outputs of state 1 and state 2 AND gates and it's output will control the warm white light. In practice you will probably use NAND and NOR gates as they are more common but explaining the logic using AND and OR gates is probably easier to understand.

Les.

Karthick pannerselvam

Joined Mar 10, 2021
As you don't want to use a microcontroller I suggest using a CD4017 Use a debounce circuit to clock the CD4017 on the falling edge of the signal from the switch. You will have 3 on states so use states 0, 1, 2 Connect state 3 back to the reset pin to make it loop back to state 0. Logical AND the state of your switch with each of the outputs (0, 1, 2) Connect the inputs of one OR gate to the output of states 0 and 1 AND gates The output of that OR gate will switch the white light on. The other OR gates inputs will be connected to the outputs of state 1 and state 2 AND gates and it's output will control the warm white light. In practice you will probably use NAND and NOR gates as they are more common but explaining the logic using AND and OR gates is probably easier to understand.

Les.
Thanks for your reply ,can you send the circuit for what you explain above

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010

Les.
You made the same mistake that I did. The TS has 6 states: 0,1,2,3,4,5. Connect 6 to reset. Leave 1,3,5 unconnected.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I agree that it has states (Even though 3 are the same - off) It only has three ON states. That is why the three states of the 4017 are logically ANDed with the switch state (On and off) So we have 4017 state 0 off and state 0 on. So in state 0 the white light is only on when the switch is also in. The 4017 changes state when the switch goes from on to off.

Les.