Gerber files directly from the positives ?

FredTheRedneck

Joined May 14, 2020
Hi Everyone! I am new to this allaboutcircuits site and the Forum, so please bear with me.

I want to produce some Gerber Files for machine work for some old graphic positives which I hand made years ago thru MSPAINT The positives were used in the Xerox Overhead Projector Film method to transfer the ink images onto the PCB by heat press.

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a simple method to create Gerber files directly from the positives without having to write a file by redrawing the circuits in a PCB Creation program?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi Everyone! I am new to this allaboutcircuits site and the Forum, so please bear with me.

I want to produce some Gerber Files for machine work for some old graphic positives which I hand made years ago thru MSPAINT The positives were used in the Xerox Overhead Projector Film method to transfer the ink images onto the PCB by heat press.

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a simple method to create Gerber files directly from the positives without having to write a file by redrawing the circuits in a PCB Creation program?
Only if you have a way to scan the positives. You might be able to turn the scan into something, but would it have the right level of precision.

FredTheRedneck

Joined May 14, 2020

I like the responses and appreciate them: BUT I don't have a lead that will allow me to align the drill holes (most of them) and have them embedded into the program for drilling by machine. A program that will allow me to import the image of the PCB and align most of the holes would be great. If then I could re-certify the drill holes onto a vector that would be perfect. Does anyone know a program that will do that?

FredTheRedneck

Joined May 14, 2020
Take a look at this link.

https://nitkin.net/2016/3/graphic-copper-kicad

I am not sure that is qualified as easy but it does seem possible from a bitmap file.
I believe I'll do some deep reading about the Graphic Copper in Kicad site you sent me to.
Quick reading a few sections shows a little hope in me getting these machine-made. I have been doing it by film for years and figure now is the time I need them to finally be completed.

I'll post if I find the program to do it with if there is such. Any more ideas will be truly welcomed.

Thanks, everyone.
FTR

FredTheRedneck

Joined May 14, 2020
I have seen a few references about using Protel, a schematic capture package, in reverse engineering a PCB. I do not know how easy it is to do it what the cost of the software is.

I thought this was an interesting site, a PCB clone service from DirtyPCB in China. They also seem to use Protel.

https://dirtypcbs.com/store/pcbclone
StayatHomeElectronics thanks.... - I am looking up Protel today to see if they say anything about importing graphics.
Thank you very much.

And again Thanks to all that have replied.
FTR@EES - electronicenergysource