General Electricity Question

Esac

Joined May 6, 2020
I hope i ask the right question. What devices out there are available or that i could build that will assist in meassuring the degree of electrical discharges in the environment.(in a room smaller than lets say 12x12 )

Allow me to explain. The room has an environment where shocks and electrical discharges are being generated. I need to be able to measure this so i will be able to compare it to what are the normal or "acceptable levels".

Note the discharges are not generated by normal means so first i need to identify there is an issue and move from there.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
non-destructive testing is registration of gases discharge parameters under environment normal conditions. This discharge results from applying voltage difference to rods system of point - plain. Thus in a gap between them the dielectric with small air gap are laied out. The ignition voltage and leakage current pulsations frequency of a discharge depend on the geometrical and electrophysical parameters of dielectric (thickness, specific conductivity, electrohardness, dielectric permittivity, etc.). It allows to determine its values at usage of the characteristic curves obtained on standard samples. As against traditional non-destructive methods of testing the basic feature of a proposed method is the broad band of testing parameters values
Electric currents can be induced by electric and magnetic fields in conductive objects near
transmission lines. For magnetic fields, the concern is for very long objects parallel and close to
the line. However, the majority of concern is related to the potential for small electric currents to
be induced by electric fields in metallic objects close to transmission lines. Metallic roofs,
vehicles, vineyard trellises, and fences are examples of objects that can develop a small electric
charge in proximity to high voltage transmission lines.feasibility of the implemented configuration for measuring, monitoring, and analysis of several effects related to the partial discharges phenomena such as thermal, acoustic, and electrical, and thus to obtain important information about the insulating material status

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Back in the 90's I used to audit the company ESD work stations. In my arsenal was a hand held device that you would turn on then zero it. Then hold it 12 inches away from a surface or device you wanted to know if or how much of a charge was present. It was rated to read static charges of up to 5KV Static. If you had a voltage exceeding the scale you held the unit 24 inches away and multiplied the reading by a factor of four.

I used to watch video's of lightning chasers that launched rockets into a thunderstorm. The rocket had a spool of fine wire that would unravel as the rocket ascended into the cloud. The trick was to know when to launch the rocket. Launching at a time when static levels were low the rocket would not attract lightning. So they used what I'm guessing is a coil of wire of unknown turns and mounted the coil in a spindle so that the coil ends would tumble end over end. With the static charges building the coil would pick up that potential. Because potentials are not AC or DC, the coil tumbled end over end to produce a sinusoidal waveform that could be read. Through experience they knew when a bolt of lightning was about to strike. That was when they would launch their rocket and bring lightning down to the launch tower. It was a very festinating take on the kite and key Benjamin Franklin employed. The rocket launch system consisted of an air tube that would remotely operate a switch for firing the rocket. That way they didn't risk bringing the lightning into the bunker.

It's not real clear to me exactly what you're trying to detect. But if you're looking to detect static charges, the two methods discussed may prove useful. However, the tumbling coil would have to be something you build with experimentation. The commercial static meter is something you can buy. I have no idea where you can get either.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
What I'm referring to is a handheld battery powered device that simply swings a needle either positive or negative. Looking to see if I can find one.

[edit] Doesn't look like anyone's making the needle movement type anymore. But I did find a lot of digital units ranging wildly in price. Likely reliability as well. Here's a link to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=static+meter&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Last edited:

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
If you really are experiencing excessive electrical discharges within a room, you could try detecting them using an AM/FM radio.

With the radio tuned away from a broadcast station (picking up background static) the resultant broadband emission from the static discharge might be picked up by the radio. Unfortunately the radio will also pick up other external effects (not from within the room), which could confuse the situation.

Esac

Joined May 6, 2020
non-destructive testing is registration of gases discharge parameters under environment normal conditions. This discharge results from applying voltage difference to rods system of point - plain. Thus in a gap between them the dielectric with small air gap are laied out. The ignition voltage and leakage current pulsations frequency of a discharge depend on the geometrical and electrophysical parameters of dielectric (thickness, specific conductivity, electrohardness, dielectric permittivity, etc.). It allows to determine its values at usage of the characteristic curves obtained on standard samples. As against traditional non-destructive methods of testing the basic feature of a proposed method is the broad band of testing parameters values
Electric currents can be induced by electric and magnetic fields in conductive objects near
transmission lines. For magnetic fields, the concern is for very long objects parallel and close to
the line. However, the majority of concern is related to the potential for small electric currents to
be induced by electric fields in metallic objects close to transmission lines. Metallic roofs,
vehicles, vineyard trellises, and fences are examples of objects that can develop a small electric
charge in proximity to high voltage transmission lines.feasibility of the implemented configuration for measuring, monitoring, and analysis of several effects related to the partial discharges phenomena such as thermal, acoustic, and electrical, and thus to obtain important information about the insulating material status
I will need time to digest this info. I appreciate it.