General Electric volts and amps

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Room for cells is - 10mm width x 2" in length× 3mm depth.
No budget and it will be used 90% outdoors
So where did the 5" x 5" panels you were talking about earlier go?

At the surface of the earth in bright sunlight at noon the power reaching the surface of the Earth is right about 1000 W/m². You are working with an area of (0.01 m)(0.05 m) or 0.0005 m², meaning that the power hitting your panel is going to be about 0.5 W. Current, the best commercial panels are in the 18% range for efficiency, so you will only get about 90 mW of power out of it under optimal conditions. Yet you want to use it to power something that needs around 2000 mW.

Do you see the problem?

Nando6996

Joined Mar 9, 2019
Thats going to be hard to find
So where did the 5" x 5" panels you were talking about earlier go?

At the surface of the earth in bright sunlight at noon the power reaching the surface of the Earth is right about 1000 W/m². You are working with an area of (0.01 m)(0.05 m) or 0.0005 m², meaning that the power hitting your panel is going to be about 0.5 W. Current, the best commercial panels are in the 18% range for efficiency, so you will only get about 90 mW of power out of it under optimal conditions. Yet you want to use it to power something that needs around 2000 mW.

Do you see the problem?
Yes I do!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thats going to be hard to find

Yes I do!
So this again brings us back to ... what is it that you NEED this project to DO?

If what you have told us is what the project requirements truly are, then don't waste your time even trying to accomplish them. Prepare a half page write up showing that it is physically impossible and move on.

Or, finally get around to telling us what the actual requirements are that you need to accomplish.

I've asked before -- why are there fans involved in this at all? Why not LEDs, or space heaters, or cell phones. Why fans? What is it that these fans are supposed to do?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You said a 50mm by 10mm solar panel is the largest you can use. It is 1/5th the size of the solar panel on a solar garden light that charges a 1.3V Ni-MH AAA cell all day then the cell powers a 10mA LED for 8 hours.

Your fans use a lot of power but the tiny size of your battery or solar panel cannot do it.

Nando6996

Joined Mar 9, 2019
You said a 50mm by 10mm solar panel is the largest you can use. It is 1/5th the size of the solar panel on a solar garden light that charges a 1.3V Ni-MH AAA cell all day then the cell powers a 10mA LED for 8 hours.

Your fans use a lot of power but the tiny size of your battery or solar panel cannot do it.
I figured that! Thanks again for your and everyone's expertise.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Wonder how his presentation went?
Don't know. But I think his next presentation is going to be on how to use a paper cup to fill an olympic pool in six hours.

I've read most of the posts, and the last page of posts. I don't see where he's answered anyone's question as to what he's attempting to accomplish. For all we know he can be trying to fill a hot air balloon with cold air from three small fans. After having been told repeatedly what he proposes can't be done the way he wants to - he still hasn't enlightened us into the presentation.

I once dreamed of using a 9 volt battery to power a car for 1,000 miles carrying four passengers. HUMAN passengers. I was a kid then. I also thought that if you took an extension cord and plugged it in, plugged a lamp into the end of it and then unplugged the extension cord and if you could be fast enough, plug the extension cord into itself the lamp would stay lit. I must have been seven years old then when I actually tried that several times. I just couldn't get the plug moved over fast enough. So my theory remains unproven.

Uilnaydar

Joined Jan 30, 2008
... I also thought that if you took an extension cord and plugged it in, plugged a lamp into the end of it and then unplugged the extension cord and if you could be fast enough, plug the extension cord into itself the lamp would stay lit. I must have been seven years old then when I actually tried that several times. I just couldn't get the plug moved over fast enough. So my theory remains unproven.
You were PWM'ing even back then!!

To think; the only deep thought I remember as a kid was if you cut your spaghetti up, do you get more spaghetti since there are more actual pieces now? I'd test it 7 days a week if my wife would let me.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
My first perpetual motion machine involved a car with a magnet attached to the front of it. And a boom coming out in front with a magnet positioned to attract the magnet on the car.

Much later I came up with the motor driving a generator driving the motor.

I don't understand how it is that I am still not a zillionaire.

Bob

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
My first perpetual motion machine involved a car with a magnet attached to the front of it. And a boom coming out in front with a magnet positioned to attract the magnet on the car.

Bob
:D

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

Bob
My first (and only) perpetual motion machine was a hamster cage wheel with small bar magnets glued to the cross pieces and then a bunch of cabinet catch magnets stuck to the wall of the cage itself. My dad encouraged me all the way, knowing that it would fail of course. I think I was in fifth grade or so.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Remember those car radios with the push buttons that you had to pull out and then push in to set the station? For those who don't remember such, the radio had a volume and a tone knob on one side and on the other was the tuner knob. Turning the tuner knob meant you were mechanically tuning into a particular radio station. The five or six buttons on the front of the radio was as far back as I remember, but you mechanically tuned to a station, then pulled out one of those buttons and then pushed it in. That mechanically locked that radio station to that button; so that when you pushed that button you would mechanically and almost instantly tune to that station.

As a child of maybe 3 or 4 years of age I believed whole heartedly - and was 100% convinced that if you pulled all those buttons out at once and pushed them in at the same time you would tune into Santa Clause. Mom KNEW I was thinking that and she very sternly instructed me NOT to do that. When she wasn't looking I did. Much to my chagrin it did not work. I tried it again and again convinced I wasn't getting the timing exactly right; but to no avail. When my mom got in the car and pushed a button the radio did not change. She asked me if I pulled all the buttons out. I remember lying. Don't remember much after that.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
My first perpetual motion machine was born about 26 years ago, it seemed to work for a while, but after about 16 years, it would stop working for long periods, and I had to push on it to get it going.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Boy are we off topic. Honestly, I can't imagine how much work can be done with three 3 inch fans that would be used for a presentation. The area of the fan; (R=3/2) = (R=1.5) therefore π(RR)=7.07"sq. in. The motor may be 1 inch diameter; the math suggests approximately 3/4 of an inch. So the effective area of the fan is about 6 1/3 sq. in. Don't see that moving much air. Enough to cool a µP or a small amplifier stage, but I don't see it doing much in the way of useful work. Possibly for a science fair project to show how wind farms can generate green energy maybe. Beyond that I'm at a loss to guess what this special presentation was.

I wonder if you can use a fan to blow a wind turbine to generate electricity to run the fan. Nah! Can't work. Too much hot air messing with the air flow.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Boy are we off topic. Honestly, I can't imagine how much work can be done with three 3 inch fans that would be used for a presentation. The area of the fan; (R=3/2) = (R=1.5) therefore π(RR)=7.07"sq. in. The motor may be 1 inch diameter; the math suggests approximately 3/4 of an inch. So the effective area of the fan is about 6 1/3 sq. in. Don't see that moving much air. Enough to cool a µP or a small amplifier stage, but I don't see it doing much in the way of useful work. Possibly for a science fair project to show how wind farms can generate green energy maybe. Beyond that I'm at a loss to guess what this special presentation was.

I wonder if you can use a fan to blow a wind turbine to generate electricity to run the fan. Nah! Can't work. Too much hot air messing with the air flow.
It’s what happens when a TS abandons the thread which was a little ridiculous to start with. I’ve seen it happen many times.

Nando6996

Joined Mar 9, 2019
It’s what happens when a TS abandons the thread which was a little ridiculous to start with. I’ve seen it happen many times.
To you its ridiculous, to me its not. You dont even know what i did, or what I was making.i gave you the information I needed to make it happen without revealing what im making, thanks. The presentation was a success, got a deal with royalties so fk off so called engineer's. I say the next time you fks try and help someone dont be rude or make fun of them just cause they are not as smart or privileged like you guy's. I hope you rude and inconsiderate tech out there dont do this to a young student that has low self of steem like you see on tv who offed him self because of bullies like you guy's.✌

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
To you its ridiculous, to me its not. You dont even know what i did, or what I was making.i gave you the information I needed to make it happen without revealing what im making, thanks. The presentation was a success, got a deal with royalties so fk off so called engineer's. I say the next time you fks try and help someone dont be rude or make fun of them just cause they are not as smart or privileged like you guy's. I hope you rude and inconsiderate tech out there dont do this to a young student that has low self of steem like you see on tv who offed him self because of bullies like you guy's.✌
But you were asked what you were making. You chose not to reveal that information. Members explained (politely) the flaws in your approach. You demonstrated a lack of understanding. That ambiguity and communication difficulties is what caused the problem! I believe that you are incapable of understanding that. So why am I wasting my time?

No one even thought that you were not smart or privileged. I know I am speaking for others. But I’m confident in my assessment because I’ve been here a long time and know these guys.

Congratulations on your presentation success!

Uilnaydar

Joined Jan 30, 2008
The presentation was a success, got a deal with royalties so fk off so called engineer's.
Hmmm, must have sold it to my mom along with that energy scavenging generator and the air engine. I wonder if she'll give me money for my cut spaghetti food doubler? Need to get into her savings before the scammers get it all!