Gate Remote Control

infrasonic

Joined Feb 7, 2015
Is there any way to increase the power/range of my gate remote control?
I have to be very near, like 4 meters from the receiver then only the signal would reach it from my remote.
The metal strip, is it the antenna? Can I solder another wire on it so it would be out of the remote casing?
Also what's the trimmer cap for?

Know some about electronics, but very little and limited.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Adding a wire to an antenna will affect its tuning, so may make things worse. But hey, be adventurous if your soldering skills are good! Take anti-static precautions (and remove the battery before you start ;)).

infrasonic

Joined Feb 7, 2015
Adding a wire to an antenna will affect its tuning, so may make things worse. But hey, be adventurous if your soldering skills are good! Take anti-static precautions (and remove the battery before you start ;)).
Alright, will try that when there's absolutely no other way, just wanted to make sure if the strip is even the antenna at all..

Biggest issue with this type of remote is that the transmitter is not on the same freq. as the receiver.
But how do I even get to open the gate if the freq is different?
If so, how to I make it the same freq again?

By the way, I see a resistor going from the circuit to the metal strip, why is it that?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The single tuned-circuit transmitter and single-tuned super-regenerative receiver drift as they age. Soon, the transmit frequency is not centered in the tuning curve of the receiver.

Get a plastic tuning tool that fits the trimmer capacitor on the transmitter. Note the starting position. Barely move it CW. Test the range. If it improved, tweak it again in the same direction. Keep going, but move it the smallest amount you can for each test. It the range gets worse on the first test, go CCW in small increments.

infrasonic

Joined Feb 7, 2015
So I've tried to trim the trimmer cap, but the original tuning seems to give the best range. Is there any possible way I can do with the circuit to increase the output?