Garden irrigator - circuit for supplementary solenoid

Swartzy

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Dear Forumers,

I am seeking for help in planning a simple circuit.

I have a controller what operates a 24V solenoid for garden irrigaton purposes. 30 sec delay after the main solenoid gets current I would like a supplementary solenoid to been under current only for a potmeter adjustable 5-20 secs. Can Anyone help me how to carry out this?

Thank you in advance.

Merry Christmas!

Regards, Swartzy

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

Is the 24V AC or DC?

Assuming DC, you are looking to produce a single pulse for 5-20 seconds, 30 seconds after a rising edge. A simple 555 monostable ("one shot") can easily do that second pulse and is adjustable with a potentiometer. You need a delay after a rising edge, which is also not difficult. Unfortunately, the 555 is limited to 18V maximum, so you will need something in between, like a relay.

Before getting too deeply into your plan, have you ruled out microcontrollers? Do you prefer relays or solid state devices? Are you familiar with 555's? Have you built circuits before?

Swartzy

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Thank you for the quick reply Jpanhalt and the shematic solution.
Unfortunatelly its not DC. The irrigator controller's output is 24V AC.

Let me answer in order.
Have you ruled out microcontrollers? - no, I am ready to do it with an mcu if you recommend to do so
Do you prefer relays or solid state devices? - I prefer the way what is easier for a noobie
Are you familiar with 555's? - no
Have you built circuits before? - no, it's my first time

Swartzy

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Yes sure I have soldering iron.
Could send links just like in your previous post what modules do I need and how should be connected to get it work?

Swartzy

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Yes.
1. The first solenoid turnes on.
2. 30 seconds after the first solenoid turned on the second solenoid should be on for ~10 seconds then only the second solenoid turnes off