Garage Door Opener Switch

Windward

Joined May 8, 2020
I am trying to wire an external momentary switch to a garage door remote. I will then mount that new switch to the dash and the remote will sit behind the fairing.

I have two remotes to play with, but the larger one will not easily fit behind the fairing. However, I am able to figure out where to solder my leads. I can use a jumper cable and get the switch to activate.

On the smaller remote, where the switch posts come through the board, they are different. Almost as if there is a non-contact (probably not the right term) block between two solder points. Regardless of what I jumper, I cannot get the remote to activate. Any ideas??
garage door remote.png

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Usually it is a simple job to identify the points on the board where the push knob on the case operates on the board.
In some cases it is just a conductive material adhered to the case.
If it is the black coloured conductive material type, this can be purchased on ebay and elsewhere.
Some have an obvious common type switch.
Max.

Windward

Joined May 8, 2020
Usually it is a simple job to identify the points on the board where the push knob on the case operates on the board.

The arrows in the picture point to where the OEM switch comes through the boards. If you are able to look closely at the picture of the smaller remote, where the switch posts come through the board, it looks different than on the larger remote. On the larger remote it is just a standard soldered post. On the smaller one, the solder joint looks to be separated my a tiny piece of white plastic. Sorry my pictures are not better. Best I could get with the iPhone.

I did figure out a work around. I was able to solder the leads onto the front side of the board and it works fine. Still curious why it would not work from the backside.
IMG_0585.JPG

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
As long as SW3 is the button you press to operate the garage door adding another switch remotely will be just fine. However, the one thing that concerns me is where you're replacing the remote. I have a remote for my GDO (Garage Door Opener). Where I place it in the truck makes a difference as to how close to the garage I have to be. The metal structure of the vehicle will dampen the radio transmission. My GDO remote is near the sunroof. If I hold it down below the steering wheel it won't open the door.

As a second thought - where you place it means you will have to be able to get to it again to replace the battery. If this is going to sit in a location where the sun is going to be hottest then you're cooking the battery and shortening its life. My front door 'doorbell' has a battery. Every summer in the afternoon the sun beats in under the porch and cooks the battery. What should last 3 years doesn't make it through the summer.

Windward

Joined May 8, 2020
The fairing of my bike is all plastic, and the remote would sit behind a small plastic cover where I plan to mount the new switch. Since the cover is easily removable, I can change out the batteries as needed. Rarely is the bike sitting in the hot sun as I am not using it for commuting....just for leisure rides. Thanks for the input.