GaN BASED DC-DC Converter

mohtishamali

Joined Jul 9, 2021
Greetings of the day to all,

I am working on 1KW low voltage DC-DC converter for automotive application. Its a pre-devlopment phase so i am only working on prototype. Its fully regulated and non isolated converter and i want to implement digital control by sensing output voltage and current to do the regulation. I am working on Multi-Level buck topology and my question is how many phases i should consider to use depending upon my application. my switching frequencey is 500kHz so due to high switching frequencey it would not be wise to use number of phases more then two but then two pahses are enough to share 1KW power flow if i take 100V package of GAN semi conductor.
Thanks

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Greetings of the day to all,

I am working on 1KW low voltage DC-DC converter for automotive application. Its a pre-devlopment phase so i am only working on prototype. Its fully regulated and non isolated converter and i want to implement digital control by sensing output voltage and current to do the regulation. I am working on Multi-Level buck topology and my question is how many phases i should consider to use depending upon my application. my switching frequencey is 500kHz so due to high switching frequencey it would not be wise to use number of phases more then two but then two pahses are enough to share 1KW power flow if i take 100V package of GAN semi conductor.
Thanks
Which GaN transistor are you using? I understood most GaNs for SMPS operate in the 1-2MHZ range and newer versions will allow even faster switching.