Gaining knowledge is not illegal.

seebert

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Regarding the closed thread on radio jamming;

Sirs, whilst it is illegal to build many pieces of equipment and equally illegal to plan or conspire to conduct or incite certain other activities, it is not illegal to obtain the knowledge of how such items or activities may be constructed or carried out.

Has the world returned to the burning book philosophy of Adolph Hitler? Knowing is not doing and it is to the detriment of all when 'knowing' becomes illegal.

I do NOT condone illegal activities but neither do condone:-

1. Any system that allows full and unimpeded access to illegal activities by those with a charter to do so.

2. The limiting of access to information that is of intellectual interest to any individual and ...

3. The complete removal of access to information that has been deemed unsuitable for a given audience.

Who shall or is even fit to make that judgement?

History has a great deal to tell us on that subject. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yours respectfully.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
While you or I, and many others here would NOT use such knowledge for nefarious purposes, others WOULD. Why give them something they might use to hurt or destroy with? I have a great thirst for knowledge, but if someone thinks the knowledge needed to build a bomb for instance, is better not being shared on the internet, then I can deal with that decision. If I need to know such things, there are OTHER ways the info can be found than 'demanding' someone share such things with you on an internet forum

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
It is the avoidance of the unintended decimination of knowledge that can be harmful or illegal that takes up a significant portion of this forum's moderators time and energy.

hgmjr

seebert

Joined Dec 23, 2011
While you or I, and many others here would NOT use such knowledge for nefarious purposes, others WOULD.
Think back a little in time : http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

but if someone thinks the knowledge needed to build a bomb for instance, is better not being shared on the internet, then I can deal with that decision
It is easy to comply, but even better to question beforehand. See B.F. once again.

If I need to know such things, there are OTHER ways the info can be found than 'demanding' someone share such things with you on an internet forum
I did not see a 'demand' for information, I saw a request.

The great thing is that we can agree to disagree and doesn't that form the very foundation of our great free country.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Yes, there was no 'demand' made in your post.

I offer my sincerest apologies if this offended you.

As for the other isolated quotes you pulled from my response...what does B.F. have to do with them? I'm familiar with his legacy and see no relevance to the subject at hand.

("Were I to tell you the answer, I would stand to lose and you to gain...") just a random quote from someone I thought I would throw in to help muddy the waters a little further. :)

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Kermit2 said:
Yes, there was no 'demand' made in your post.
kermit2, i respectfully disagree with you.

I did not see a 'demand' for information, I saw a request.
A saw a refused request condemned as the "book burning philosophy of Adolf Hitler".

When one expects all requests to be answered to complete satisfaction, requests become more than requests and begin to border on demands.

Of course, one has a right to protest, but protesting is demanding. So let's be honest and label things for what they are.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Seebert, I realize you are new here, so you may not know yet to never question the moderators. If they close a thread, it is for good reason, and they will not likely go back on it. Come to think of it, to my knowledge, no moderator has EVER re-opened a thread that they locked, or even decided that they were wrong. The moderators often discuss with each other whether the thread should be locked or not before they do. If one is closed, chances are it is the decision of all of the mods, and for good reason.

Though I agree with you, that gaining knowledge is not illegal, any information we give about, say, jammers, could still be taken by a person who means harm, and they could use it maliciously. We do not want to aid in that sort of thing. A topic does not even have to be illegal to be locked. If it is causing arguments, or "flames" (as the mods say here), it will be closed. Automotive modifications are not allowed to be discussed, because someone might use the information incorrectly and cause major safety hazards. Therefore, they are not allowed. Political or religious discussions are also not allowed here, because they often end up in a long, heated argument between the members that causes unnecessary tension. For that reason, they are also often locked.

Please understand that the mods here are simply doing their job when they close a thread. If the they feel a thread will cause problems, whether they be safety issues or heated arguments, they will close it. It helps to keep this site in order, free of inappropriate or rude comments, and open to legitimate, legal, and safe discussions about electronics. That is the entire purpose of this forum.

Best wishes,
Der Strom

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
All they are is a broadband white noise transmitter in the cellular frequency ranges. YOU NOW KNOW HOW TO MAKE ONE!

If I posted a schematic for a jammer, you most likely wouldn't be able to assemble it properly and tune it anyway.

If you learn electronics, and end up with some rather expensive equipment over several years, building a jammer isn't at the top of your list of things to do, since you can go to jail.

Besides, you can get one from china for $30, assuming you don't have an officer come around after it goes through customs.

They are handy though, whenever somebody is talking to loud in the restaurant, I just flip it on for a bit. :p

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Personally, I would very much love an automatically moderated site that would provide all kinds of information, legal or not, without any change of it backfiring to the site's onwer, leaving me playing pretty.

In real life, however, things are different. Not only we feel responsible for the results of our member's experiments, but there are real life consequences for the admin (and owner) of the site. We are an educational community, but we have legal issues to deal with.

I say, be thankful for what you are given, and fight for what you are not given. Win the fight, or live to fight another day, that's life.