(Fusible?) resistor? Rating?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That is (was) a fusible wire wound resistor of about 3A power capacity and unknown resistance.

[EDIT: fixed error in terminology]

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If you can trace the circuit and provide a schematic I am sure someone here can help make a generalized determination of a likely value. I have no idea why the resistor was used. It could be a really pathetic dropper, or something else.

I wouldn’t have even a guess without more information.

sjrw

Joined Aug 13, 2021
Thank you Yaakov. I am guessing that maybe a 10A slow blow fuse would be acceptable here. I think that’s what I’ll try and see how it goes. BTW it is on the live - I must be electrically dyslexic. I wish I’d discovered this place thirty years ago

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Thank you Yaakov. I am guessing that maybe a 10A slow blow fuse would be acceptable here. I think that’s what I’ll try and see how it goes. BTW it is on the live - I must be electrically dyslexic. I wish I’d discovered this place thirty years ago
Nice endorsement, only thing is… AAC was not around 30 years ago.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I suspected it was on the L line but without a schematic and with the… erm… ”novel” circuits I have seen in imported power electronics, I held off for more information.

Since it is a resistor, it’s voltage drop may be needed to keep from lettin gout the smoke of something down stream which a fuse will not do.

sjrw

Joined Aug 13, 2021
I suspected it was on the L line but without a schematic and with the… erm… ”novel” circuits I have seen in imported power electronics, I held off for more information.

Since it is a resistor, it’s voltage drop may be needed to keep from lettin gout the smoke of something down stream which a fuse will not do.
I've only lost magic smoke a few times so far, I'm hoping that a simple slow blow will also keep it inside the box this time. So long as it doesn't burn I am happy, and if it decides not to play ball then I'll put it down to experience and buy a new one. Thanks for the help, it's sort of straightened out my thinking a bit.

sjrw

Joined Aug 13, 2021
The board from underneath. The offender is bottom centre. Flipside is a relay box, two caps, a battery and socket for the display/programmer.

Attachments