fuses

Skeebopstop

Joined Jan 9, 2009
None of this wiring needs protecting by the 13 amp fuse in the mains plug of the heater.

Within the heater there may also be a fuse, perhaps 10 amps, and perhaps a thermal fuse or cutout.
The 10amp fuse you mention would be suitably sized for the application. It is done so with knowledge of the design in mind. If the heater only ever needed 5 amps this would be made to 5 amps, the key here being it is < 13. Thermal cutouts of course are nice and still also apply to my mention of protection of circuitry.

I am going to treat thermal cutouts separately as I feel that a different discussion than this particular form of fusing.

I completely agree that bodies such as UL require these appropriate fusings for safety, however when you select the fuse, you don't just by default throw it at 10. You size it based on your application. Thus, inherently, it is there to protect the circuit too.

You also must think that fusing often times really is 'only' to protect the circuit. Lets say I have a +24V rail that can only drive 500 mA. I'm going to fuse it for 500mA in the event someone drives a digital output on that rail too hard etc.. so my driver IC doesn't fry, aka, protecting the circuitry. This subsequently would also blow if someone shorted +24V to chassis (which is a situation that is completely safe, even if chassis wasn't grounded, assuming +24V isn't floating). Therefore your original statement of protecting people versus circuitry does not cover this case, and as such cannot be considered a rule of thumb and blanket statement. Whereas if you use appropriate measures to always protect your circuits, safety will inherently follow.

Think about it.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
You also must think that fusing often times really is 'only' to protect the circuit.
Yes indeed, but only ever provided that by protecting the circuit life and property are not put at risk.

italo

Joined Nov 20, 2005
FUSES ARE THERE TO PREVENT SUSTAINED OVER CURRENT AND/OR OVERVOLTAGE. It amazing how a new word raises eyebrows. It is either or either is it a bonnet or a trunk. Well english is based on latin so blame the italians. Finally a fuse of400 amps capacity with the size of 6"by 2" is nothing more the a strip of silver as thin as paper making the connection not a bulky 4" by 2" copper conductor. What is inside taking up all the space huh I don't know maybe sand so when it blows the sand collapses on it and contain the air ionizing. There is the fuse design containment of ions. That is why glass is used to contain the fire of ions.