Fused Switch

KyleMead

Joined Jun 14, 2019
Hi Folks,
One of my photography power packs fused a switch and though it just unplugs I'm having trouble looking for a replacement. It's a Carling switch but not being an expert in switch models I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I believe it's a 3 pole but triple throw? If someone point me in the right direction to buy a replacement I would appreciate the help. If I can't get a replacement, is it feasible to sand the contacts and put it back? I feel like that would just cause it to arc and fuse again.

Here's a link to images.
http://mgvdesign.com/switch.html
1622154744730.png

Thank you for your time.
Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Here is a link to Carling Swich Rockers
https://www.carlingtech.com/rocker-switches

They're generally inexpensive and widely sourced. Yours looks like a 3PDT (3 pole double throw). If there are other ratings printed on the switch body, post those and we can help. Posting measurements can help too.
EDIT: The contacts look shot. Time for a new switch.

Last edited:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Last edited:

KyleMead

Joined Jun 14, 2019
Hi, thanks for the replies. The power pack company (Dynalite) went out of business a couple of years ago so I'm stuck. The dimensions of the case are 31.75mm x 27.7mm. The trouble is that it has 9 quick connects, I didn't see any on Carling that were the same.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
The trouble is that it has 9 quick connects, I didn't see any on Carling that were the same.
The Carling drawings are very general. Your switch seems to be a snap-in so I'd look for a 3PDT that has the same body dims and go from there.
The shape of the rocker on your switch indicates it is old stuff. Newer ones have softer edges. Hopefully the difference is limited to the rocker and the snap-in body is the same. A 3PDT switch will have 9 terminals, even though the drawings don't show them. The big difference is .187" vs .250" tabs. Yours look like .250" but measure. If the outside dims are OK, the tab size is OK and the basic ratings are OK, go for it. They're cheap enough to try a few.

KyleMead

Joined Jun 14, 2019
It is old, it's worked for many, many years. The tabs do measure at .249 so I guess that settles it. If I locate the actual part number on Carling do you know where I can buy one? Digikey maybe? Of course it would have been easier if it actually had a part number but it only says Mexico Carling.