Fused 2-pin plug?

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
We have some electric candles that my wife likes to put in the front windows at Christmas time. This year one of them didn't work even with a new bulb, and a second new bulb, and I was told to fix it or throw it out. My first thought was that the crummy rotary switch that's inline with the cord must have failed, and I thought maybe it could be fixed easily. But no, there was actually no conductivity from the plug pin to the switch. So then I looked more closely at the plug (a 2-pin polarized type) and I saw that there was a little compartment in it with a sliding cover. I opened this, and inside there was a tiny fuse, which the meter showed had no conductivity. So the diagnostic problem's solved, and I'm inclined to dump the light rather than go hunting for a new fuse. But I'd never seen a fused plug in the USA before--although I have to admit that there could be plenty of them around, and the fuses in the ones we own just haven't had a reason to blow yet. One thing you can easily see is that the sliding cover to the fuse compartment can only be opened when the plug isn't in a receptacle:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
That type of plug is very common with xmas light sets..
Just about every set I've ever bought has had a spare bulb and spare fuse taped to the cord..

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Our local ACE hardware store sells the fuses around Christmas as do a few locally owned outfits. Maybe you can find replacements at similar places near you.