Full wave voltage doubler question

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
So my thought was that, that list of abbreviations was meant to be a little bit sarcastic:D
Hi Sinus23! I'm sure HP will reply to post later so for now I just want to say that I know she's totally sincere cuz we hashed it over beforehand. So if I understand you're saying some of the abbreviations on list should be expanded on main body of tutorial? Could you please tell us which ones you think won't be familiar to just hobbyists? That would help a lot cuz it's no problem to add the expansions it's just that we don't want to wear readers down with constantly reminding them of what they already know either:confused: Also if you think other abbreviations don't need expanding plz tell us that to! HP and I are having a disagreement over magnetic quantities (like reluctance) cuz I say they are totally commonplace but HP thinks they need _qualification on introduction_ so how do you feel on that subject?
Sinus23 big thanks for helping us out:)!

Hence my question; In the opinion of everyone and anyone wishing to 'chime in' - Can I 'get away with it'? Or do I take a deep breath, avert my eyes, and throw myself under the wheels of conventiono_O
HP ok so you asked for opinion so mine is that tutorials are about electronics subjects published on electronics site so I say it doesn't matter if j term is inelegant and deviates from mathematical underpinnings cuz it's what ppl will expect! HP I totally agree that tutorials should never sellout to technical _tradyness_ but I say j vs i dilemma is just to silly to risk confusing reader at critical early stages:)!

Or do I take a deep breath, avert my eyes, and throw myself under the wheels of conventiono_O
HP suicide imagery and jokes aren't funny at all and what's more I think you do that just to rile me so consider me riled:mad::rolleyes:!

Last edited:

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Hi Sinus23! I'm sure HP will reply to post later so for now I just want to say that I know she's totally sincere cuz we hashed it over beforehand. So if I understand you're saying some of the abbreviations on list should be expanded on main body of tutorial?
The abbreviations she mentioned in her last post probably do not need much explanation for those who will use this tutorial. On the other hand it's hard to predict since people sometimes try to fly before they can crawl;).
Could you please tell us which ones you think won't be familiar to just hobbyists? That would help a lot cuz it's no problem to add the expansions it's just that we don't want to wear readers down with constantly reminding them of what they already know either:confused:
Oh I get that, it is really hard to make a tutorial that covers this amount of material if you have to go into every detail... as in electronics 101 and so forth...Yet I think it would be appreciated if the most unfamiliar abbreviations would be in their full name first when they are mentioned in the text

E.g by Electrician. DST= ? When I google it I get stuff that clearly has nothing to do with electronics. Also LOPT better know as a flyback transformer(I've never heard it called a line output transformer before since I'm quite new to this) . Pretty much all the technical abbreviations he mentioned I think should be address with their full name when they appear for the first time in the text. IMHO

Yet there is no need to hammer it again and again in the text:).
Also if you think other abbreviations don't need expanding plz tell us that to! HP and I are having a disagreement about magnetic quantities (like reluctance) cuz I say they are totally commonplace but HP thinks they need _qualification on introduction_ so how do you feel on that subject?
Sinus23 big thanks for helping us out:)!
This greatly depends on the peoples level of expertise it is written for(Prior knowledge, experience and understanding of the subject). It's a headache for most people I would think when they take on such a task to cover it so well that no one would be asking them basic/semi-basic questions. We see it here on the forum and even if you go to instructables and look up step by step simple LED blinker circuit there will be people with questions/problems...:confused:

But that's just how it goes;)

Good luck to you guys. I'll scan over the tutorial at a better time but since it's a bit over my head I'm not sure of how much help I could be.:eek:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Well... I've read most of the posts in that thread and it's pretty much more than a bit over my head
Indeed!:oops: We tend to 'wander', and, I daresay, 'press the limits of coherency' a bit on the thread in general:oops: Howbeit the 'text that matters' is the Tutorial itself HERE:)

I recognized every concept on that list
Good deal!:) -- It is our desire to avoid insulting the reader's intelligence via incessant expansions/elaborations with each initial citation of familiar terms/abbreviations/symbols (à la Wikipedia's absurd practice of cross-linking their articles word-by-word:rolleyes:) --- On the other hand, failure to elaborate upon unfamiliar terms is (at least) equally annoying - hence the 'balancing act'...

Which "most likely" means that those that will follow the tutorial will have/need a deeper understanding of electronics than I. Not to mention more experience.
The tutorial is aimed at all interested readers having even a purely avocational electronics background and secondary level science and math skills -- If you fit that 'demographic' and indeed find the TUTORIAL unduly 'challenging' then we (i.e. @Aleph(0) and I) have some work to do!:oops: Please have another look at the tutorial and advise of any 'trouble spots':)

So my thought was that, that list of abbreviations was meant to be a little bit sarcastic:D
If that means you find them 'too obvious to mention' that's a good thing! - Thank you!!!:):):)

Then I noticed that apparent power was missing
I will add same to the 'no elaboration required list' -- Thank you!:)

On the other hand it's hard to predict since people sometimes try to fly before they can crawl;).
Oh I get that, it is really hard to make a tutorial that covers this amount of material if you have to go into every detail... as in electronics 101 and so forth...
Agreed! -- Thank you for recognizing the fact that some measure of scope is required are we to be of any use to anyone!:rolleyes::)

E.g by Electrician. DST= ? When I google it I get stuff that clearly has nothing to do with electronics. Also LOPT better know as a flyback transformer(I've never heard it called a line output transformer before since I'm quite new to this) . Pretty much all the technical abbreviations he mentioned I think should be address with their full name when they appear for the first time in the text. IMHO
Indeed! We have taken the decision to initially expand all of the abbreviations cited by @The Electrician (with the exception of PTFE) for reasons given above:)

--EDIT--
To be clear we don't object to expanding PTFE - howbeit we prefer not to equate it to 'Teflon' sans qualification:)

DST = Diode Split Transformer --- which being a transformer constructed such that it's secondary is comprised of multiple 'winding segments' intervened by rectifier diodes. Such represented common construction of 'integrally rectified' LOPTs toward the close of the consumer grade CRT display 'era'...

Also LOPT better know as a flyback transformer(I've never heard it called a line output transformer
RE: LOPT vs. Flyback: Inasmuch as 'flyback' is descriptive of a topology taken with the fact that our primarily concern is with forward conversion topologies, avoidance of confusion compels eschewal of casual use of 'flyback' -- Granted! 'line output transformer', being, as it is, descriptive of said device's original application, is hardly ideal - still... it neatly ducks 'oxymoronism':D -- FWIW I'd be quite happy with merely 'conversion transformer' -- but there it is...:(
FWIW said device is known by several additional synonyms -- all of which will be enumerated in the tutorial!:)

Yet there is no need to hammer it again and again in the text:).
Exactly! We'll expand/elaborate upon initial reference only -- Moreover, as a courtesy to our readers, we'll include all expansions/elaborations in the glossary for ready reference:)

This greatly depends on the peoples level of expertise it is written for(Prior knowledge, experience and understanding of the subject). It's a headache for most people I would think when they take on such a task to cover it so well that no one would be asking them basic/semi-basic questions.
I hear ya!:) -- We'll be glad to teach them to fly however they must supply their own feathers!:D:D:D --- That said: we'll always be open to questions - no matter how basic!:)

Good luck to you guys. I'll scan over the tutorial at a better time but since it's a bit over my head I'm not sure of how much help I could be.:eek:
Seriously if it seems to be 'over your head' the difficulty is much more likely down to lack of clarity on our part:oops: --- So please! Don't hesitate to advise of 'problem areas' - the more detailed the description of the difficulty/objection the better:)

Many, many thanks!!!
HP:)

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
HP suicide imagery and jokes aren't funny at all and what's more I think you do that just to rile me so consider me riled:mad::rolleyes:!
Hey @Aleph(0) ? If anyone around here has an obsession with the subject of 'suicide' that'd be you! --- A search of these fora for posts authored by you containing the word 'suicide' turns up fully 13 citations -- I rest my case!:p

Inasmuch as you are clearly not the 'self-destructive type' -- what's the deal?:confused::D

TTFN

Last edited:

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Seriously if it seems to be 'over your head' the difficulty is much more likely down to lack of clarity on our part:oops: --- So please! Don't hesitate to advise of 'problem areas' - the more detailed the description of the difficulty/objection the better:)
No probably not I think it has more to do with that I've never dealt with higher voltage than the mains here so it's mostly my lack of experience with that:) And most of that experience was in a classroom + next to no experience with transformers except the basic math...And few demonstrations. I really need to pick up the pace on that. I've mostly focused on low power circuits when experimenting at home...

Anyways I took a quick glance at the tutorial earlier today and got lost quickly until I noticed the pictures. Like they say;). Then it started to click and got easier to follow very quickly:)

The thing about me is not only have I no experience with such circuitry also my English is high school level at best (with some exceptions...:rolleyes:)

So don't worry about me getting a bit confused fast about the material:cool:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
my English is high school level at best (with some exceptions..
Anyways I took a quick glance at the tutorial earlier today and got lost quickly until I noticed the pictures. Like they say;). Then it started to click and got easier to follow very quickly:)
---Emphasis added---

Good deal! That's precisely why we've chosen an 'illustration intensive' approach!:cool: -- Very pleased to learn it's working as intended!:)

next to no experience with transformers
Please rest assured you're not alone! I'm personally acquainted with graduate engineers and physicists who cannot entirely "get their minds around" magnetic components -- Sadly (with reference to formal education) it's become a 'blind leading the blind' scenario:rolleyes: --- Further to your study of 'practical magnetics' my recommendation is that you investigate the operation of 'baluns' (i.e balanced ⇔ unbalanced transformers) and their ilk -- the 'unintuitive' nature of which precludes sweeping of essential concepts under the rug, so to speak!:) -- Please know that many excellent resources are available online -- merely 'google' "baluns":) ---- That said the tutorial neither expects nor requires in-depth understanding of 'magnetics':cool:

Very best regards

PS please let us know should you have further questions, comments or suggestions!:):):)

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Further to your study of 'practical magnetics' my recommendation is that you investigate the operation of 'baluns' (i.e balanced ⇔ unbalanced transformers) and their ilk -- the 'unintuitive' nature of which precludes sweeping of essential concepts under the rug, so to speak!:) -- Please know that many excellent resources are available online -- merely 'google' "baluns":)
Thanks for the tip:) Magnetic's really are like black magic when you've only scratched the surface. No wonder it took such a long time for mankind to make an induction motor;)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Thanks for the tip:) Magnetic's really are like black magic when you've only scratched the surface.
Many find them rather 'esoteric' following years of practical experience and, indeed, study!:confused::)

No wonder it took such a long time for mankind to make an induction motor;)
Aye! The 'rotating transformer'!:) -- FWIW I've long felt that Tesla's (erstwhile) under-appreciation owed (in large measure) to the inexplicable American (Spec US) 'legacy' of anti-intellectualism:( --- Let's face it! While Edison's 'industry' is undeniable, he was a bit of a 'dullard':rolleyes:
By way of contemporary analogy - I assert that Tesla was to Edison what Edward Witten is to 'Bill Nye The Science Guy'o_O:rolleyes:

Very best regards

HP ok so you asked for opinion so mine is that tutorials are about electronics subjects published on electronics site so I say it doesn't matter if j term is inelegant and deviates from mathematical underpinnings cuz it's what ppl will expect! HP I totally agree that tutorials should never sellout to technical _tradyness_ but I say j vs i dilemma is just to silly to risk confusing reader at critical early stages:)!
Fair enough! Where electronics is the topic, the 'j's' have it!:D

Best regards