Full vs half Duplex Questions

Peaches41

Joined Dec 15, 2016
I have a few questions regarding a pic16F690 and a rf digital 21733 rf transceiver I have been learning with. In the rf datasheet for the 21733 it states that the data rate is "9600 baud 8 bits no parity and 1 stop bit", and they say that it is half duplex. Now from what I have seen, half duplex (synchronous) does not have a stop bit and full duplex (synchronous) does have a stop bit.

My questions:
1: Why does the rfdigital 21733 manual state half duplex and 1 stop bit?
a: Which one is it?
2: I need to use the rf 21733 with the pic 16f690 in which mode? half or full? Because the rf 21733 states: 9600 baud 8 bits no parity and 1 stop bit should I think off this as full duplex?

I am just confused as to what they are asking for here?
I have done full duplex before between picks w/ no problem but now want to do EUSART between pics w/ the rf21733 to have wireless communications.

I am seeking another set of eyes here to figure out what it should be.

Thanks all for your help.

Peaches41

Joined Dec 15, 2016
Half duplex has nothing to do with the stop bits etc. Half duplex is non simultaneous transmission in both directions.
Max.
Thank you for your quick response. My question to you is this: Which one is it (when they state: "9600 baud 8 bits no parity and 1 stop bit")?
Is there any way for me to find out which one it is? I have contacted RF Digital but have been waiting weeks for a reply and have given up on waiting for a response from them.

TY

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
My question to you is this: Which one is it (when they state: "9600 baud 8 bits no parity and 1 stop bit")?
TY
That gives no indication, full duplex would be the each end of the system is capable of send and receive simultaneously.
Most modern UART (Picmicro etc) systems are capable of this, especially at 9600 baud which is relatively slow.
Max.

Peaches41

Joined Dec 15, 2016
That gives no indication, full duplex would be the each end of the system is capable of send and receive simultaneously.
Most modern UART (Picmicro etc) systems are capable of this, especially at 9600 baud which is relatively slow.
Max.
True and that's what I gather when I compare the two in the PIC 16F690 datasheet and from my experience w/ USART.
Taken from the RF 21733 datasheet:
Mode 2 and Mode 3 are both 9600 baud, half-duplex UART modes, suitable for connection to a microcontroller, or
a level translator (such as a MAX202), then to an RS-232 port. (note: I am running in mode 2)

The UART is configured for 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1stop bit, and no parity. Because the module does not
perform any parity checking on the data stream, it is possible to use 7 data bits with even or odd parity instead of
8 data bits with no parity.

So I will guess to try both Half duplex and full duplex and see which one is correct. In my PIC 16F690, I can do either full or half duplex and will just follow the data sheet as best I can. I can not find any examples of this 21733 module on the internet to compare to.

TY