Free RF spectrum analyzer download sought

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by dante_clericuzzio, Jul 23, 2017.

1. dante_clericuzzio

Thread Starter Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Can anyone suggest where to get a good free RF spectrum analyzer software for android and desktop PC?

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. dante_clericuzzio

Thread Starter Member

Mar 28, 2016
  4. ian field

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 27, 2012
    An old trick by TV engineers was to modify an old monochrome portable for a TV bands SA.

It generally started with a 30V ramp derived from the vertical timebase to scan the tuner varicap voltage. The AGC was fed to a comparator that switched the CRT cathode current.

TV USB SDR sticks have hit the headlines in amateur radio publications, so I assume they must also cover the Ham bands - apparently they can scan, and compare AGC under software control.

5. Gsalet

Aug 8, 2017
    I know I am posting to a 5 year old post...... But I am looking for a cheap RF spectrum Analyzer to be used to tune a ham radio, input would be rf output using a sampler.
    software type would be OK

Thanks

6. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Not really, it is only a 3 month old thread.

I bought a software defined radio receiver to view transmitters on UHF. Depending upon the software with which you use it, it is said to go down to 100 kHz.

Google RTL2832U or better yet search eBay for RTL2832U.

The one I bought was about $30 asssembled on eBay, shipping included. It works ok for looking at transmitters around the house, but for Dx it is in serious need of a front end.

Motanache likes this.
  7. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  8. ian field

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 27, 2012
    If you're looking for transmitted spuriae - the TV spectrum analyser trick may still help. The difficult bit is finding a varicap tuner covering the band you want. As I mentioned in an earlier post - USB SDR dongles cover the amateur bands and probably have a waterfall display in the UI anyway.

9. dante_clericuzzio

Thread Starter Member

Mar 28, 2016
    varicap tuner --- how to find this can you show me how it looks

10. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    dante_clericuzzio likes this.
  11. dante_clericuzzio

Thread Starter Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Great resources thanks for sharing

12. ian field

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 27, 2012
    They come in all shapes and sizes, even just for analogue TVs. They've probably taken over in analogue Hi-Fi tuners as well.

They tend to be a tinplate box with a serrated clip on lid. A multi band TV tuner might stretch to a couple of the ham bands if you run the varicap voltage out of spec - but you'll probably have to pass the IF out through a mixer to get an IF signal you can use.

The SDR I mentioned probably has software with a built in waterfall display - it should be plug'n'play'.

13. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    For TV tuner-based spectrum analyzers, I think this web page is a great if not the best starting point:

Homebrew Spectrum Analyzer Project <= link to an amateur radio project