Free Or Low Cost Dictation Software?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of life's aggravations when you only have one working hand is typing. This is compounded when you used to be a adept touch typist as I used to be. One possible solution is Win 10 speech recognition, which I have tried and found not quite ready for use. Ant other suggestions as to what I might use?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Google Now, Siri and Cortana come to mind as Free but keep in mind you get what you pay for. Cortana is the Windows 10 virtual assistant. Not sure what my phone uses.

Ron

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
My PC is lacking in voice software. My phone is good.
On the phone I talk into email and then have to email my PC to put it into word.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
A friend of mine swears by Dragon. I haven't used it personally and don't know how much it costs. But according to him it's worth it, whatever it costs.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
A friend of mine swears by Dragon. I haven't used it personally and don't know how much it costs. But according to him it's worth it, whatever it costs.
I think for what it offers it is worth it. I looked it up and it starts at around $100, but it is more than a dictation software.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Win 10 has finally got this feature working. I'm using it now to type this post. Seems to work pretty well.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
It does work OK, I use it too. I have Dragon on my laptop but annoyingly you have to pay twice if I want it on my desktop too.

I still find both frustrating and often resort to editing by hand, which then takes me 3 times longer.

Plus with my reduced lung capacity an hours dictation a day is about my limit before I'm too knackered todo anything else.

And I can't use it in the lab as it annoys everyone...

Thought to speech can't come too soon... (no links please, I've seen them all; one of the research teams at the lab are active in the field)

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
At my last “real” job at a medical processing company, bills etc, i would occasionally answer calls from doctors. Many of them were regarding the “dragon” software as mentioned above. Doctors are notoriously cheap and picky but even so they all seemed to hate that app. Not recommended.