Free IO of microcontrollers

MPYC

Joined Apr 17, 2015
hi, dears.
I have a question about the pins that unused in microcontrollers.
I want to link all of them to each other directly and pull down them via a 100 ohms resistor. can direct linking of IOs make problems in my design?
notice you that all IOs are input by default and I let them still in this situation.
are there any better ways to protect my microcontroller and circuits from noise in industrial areas?
thank you

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
If the ports are always configured as input, shorting them and using a single pull down resistor is fine. I'd suggest using a more sane resistor value of 10k.

Your microcontroller may have configurable inputs (i.e. internal pull down or pull up resistors).

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
hi, dears.
I have a question about the pins that unused in microcontrollers.
I want to link all of them to each other directly and pull down them via a 100 ohms resistor. can direct linking of IOs make problems in my design?
notice you that all IOs are input by default and I let them still in this situation.
are there any better ways to protect my microcontroller and circuits from noise in industrial areas?
thank you
That depends on the chip's particular architecture. I.e. I like to configure the unused pins of the at89lp4052 as bi-dir i/o, which activates an internal weak pull-up and minimizes the use of external components. Whilst at the same time gives the pin a clearly defined state, and is not just left floating.

On the other hand, the pic architecture, in particular the pic10 family, recommends a different setup for unused pins, to minimize power draw.

The concrete answer to your question is actually device-dependent.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Would some of the pins do "weird" stuff on power up/power reset?
Depends on the family and vendor. That has been a problem in the past, most
processors today guarantee GPIO state. Read the fine print in the tech manuals.

Regards, Dana.