FOOTWELL LIGHTS dimming with map lights and turning back on with headlights

paki

Joined Dec 16, 2022
Hi I have problem and i dont know what to do. I am trying to connect led strips like these one
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y2LP9G...&pd_rd_r=e004f291-f736-466c-ad24-60e0b255c665
using 5 pin 12v 30/40A relay. I connected them like this
20221216_171137.jpg

87a-DRL day time runing lights simply led bulbls.
Now my problem is when doors are open and map lights are on and headlights are on led strips work. But when doors are closed and map lights are off and headlights are on led strips doesnt work. Does anyone know what could it be. Thanks!

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
using 5 pin
None of us know what that means. Are you talking about the OBD2 port? If so - stop. That's only there to read the Power Control Module (PCM). Or maybe it's called the Engine Control Unit (ECU). It may go by another acronym as well.

To properly connect lights - connect them directly to a "Switched 12V" source. Either through a fuse or another powered source. NOT through the PCM.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
But when doors are closed and map lights are off and headlights are on led strips doesnt work. Does anyone know what could it be. Thanks!
Then the relay coils are not connected correctly to the headlights. From your drawing if the Map lights are OFF then the LED strip will only come ON when both the Ignition and headlights are ON which should activate both relays.

paki

Joined Dec 16, 2022
Then the relay coils are not connected correctly to the headlights. From your drawing if the Map lights are OFF then the LED strip will only come ON when both the Ignition and headlights are ON which should activate both relays.
pin 86 of first relay (with diode) is connected to 12v from headlights and 85 pin is conected to ground and 86 and 85 pins on second relay are condected to 86 and 85 on first relay using these

s-l500.jpg

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
From your drawing the DRL lights are operated from the ignition switch through relay contacts 30-87A. When the headlights are ON do the DRL lights turn OFF? I'm trying to determine if the wiring is correct.

paki

Joined Dec 16, 2022
Yes thats right. Idea was that when headlights turns on DRL turns off and led strips turn on. And 87a -map lights works trough PWM signal i dont know if that changes anything.

paki

Joined Dec 16, 2022
I have voltmeter. I disconnected pin 87 on relay 2 and turned on headlights and map lights are on (doors open) to see if led stripes turns off and they do after i connected 87 pin and led strips turned on. I repeated all that with map lights off(doors closed) headlights still on and led strips just slowly turned off like relay 2 dont work

paki

Joined Dec 16, 2022
I will check it tomorrow. Thanks.
I also have one more question if this option with relay doesnt work I found this diagram online it works similarly as option with relay but leds will only work on 30% of power. The guy that made this circuit used two 3V led diode. I thought to connect my 12V led stripes istead of led diods ad just to change R30 ressistor from 470ohm to 220ohm, but I dont know if this would work.

Attachments

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
I thought to connect my 12V led stripes istead of led diods ad just to change R30 ressistor from 470ohm to 220ohm, but I dont know if this would work.
Not in this case, that circuit is switching the negative side of the LEDs.
This arrangement uses only 1 relay and 2 extra diodes. D2 and D3 need to be rated twice the current of the LED strip.
1671225332814.png

paki

Joined Dec 16, 2022
Im watching this circuit with 1 relay and wondering if map lights dont turn off all the way and i switch on headlights what would happen. Would everything work fine?

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Should work OK. Diode D3 isolates the map lights from the LED strip. When the relay is activated D3 will be reversed biased and the LED strip will get power through D2. If the map lights are still dimming when the headlights come on then the LED strip will go to full brightness .