Flyback Converter Output voltages are decreasing

J_Rod

Joined Nov 4, 2014
I don't understand what is happening.

The goal of the project is to have a DC power supply for four output voltages with isolation from each other. I ran the simulation in pSIM but the output voltages are showing a capacitive discharge with time and I don't understand why they aren't just steady values.

Firstly, is to use open loop control which is shown and then to design a feedback closed loop controller. flyback_converter_project.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Can you post the waveform, denoting the time and voltage scales?

From the schematic, there is noting to drive your output MOSFET so it is surprising that there is any output, unless for some reason during power-up the opamp/comparator that drives the MOSFET drives the gate low for a moment. That would charge the filter capacitors on the outputs and then the load resistors would discharge them.

By the way, in real life there will be leakage inductance on the primary so you will probably want to put some sort of snubber on the drain of the output MOSFET.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It would appear that the MOSFET has only switched once during the interval you are showing.
What is the voltage at the MOSFET switch gate?

J_Rod

Joined Nov 4, 2014
The triangular wave pulse has switching frequency 20kHz. Here is the waveform for the switching signal voltage at the gate. Is this too high a frequency? switching voltage flyback.png

J_Rod

Joined Nov 4, 2014
I modified the converter to include the snubber and move the position of the MOSFET switch.

flyback_converter_project_2.png

The outputs now seem stable.
flyback converter waveforms 2.png

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
With most real-life MOSFETs, 1 volt is not even enough to get it to conduct even a little bit, let alone saturate under a "reasonable" load. Check the gate drive requirements for your MOSFET and expected drain current and I suggest you make sure you supply more than that much gate drive.