Flow and temperature measurement sensor

acaudillo39

Joined Nov 8, 2017
Hello, I am currently trying to create an energy information system for a school project. Our primary focus is to measure chilled water through a pipe, however the pipe cannot be drilled into to take measurements.

I was thinking along the lines of measuring the flow rate and temperature using an infrared sensor to avoid drilling into the pipe. However I am unsure if using this kind of a sensor is practical, and if not are there any suggestions or tips on how to go about finding a sensor to measure flow rate and temperature without drilling?

An alternative is to build this sensor, however I was unsure as to how practical it would be to build this sensor to accruacy and be cost efficient.

Any help and tips are greatly appreciated!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello, I am currently trying to create an energy information system for a school project. Our primary focus is to measure chilled water through a pipe, however the pipe cannot be drilled into to take measurements.

I was thinking along the lines of measuring the flow rate and temperature using an infrared sensor to avoid drilling into the pipe. However I am unsure if using this kind of a sensor is practical, and if not are there any suggestions or tips on how to go about finding a sensor to measure flow rate and temperature without drilling?

An alternative is to build this sensor, however I was unsure as to how practical it would be to build this sensor to accruacy and be cost efficient.

Any help and tips are greatly appreciated!
Pipes make more noise as the flow rate is increased. Also, slightly higher pitch. You will have to make a chart of flow rate and amplitude to make this work.

For temp, you can set s sensor on the copper pipe and insulate from outside air and a half meter in each direction of the temp sensor. The copper conducts very well and will be very close to the same temp as the water inside.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You may want to start with a Google of "ultrasonic flow sensors" and also gain an understanding of how they work.
Ultrasonic flowmeters use sound waves to determine the velocity of a fluid flowing in a pipe. At no flow conditions, the frequencies of an ultrasonic wave transmitted into a pipe and its reflections from the fluid are the same. ... When the fluid moves faster, the frequency shift increases linearly.
I would use Gppher's suggestion for temperature, just run a surface temperature on the pipe and place insulation over it.

Ron