Floppy Diskette Music

Bod

Joined Sep 18, 2016
This is a project I had in mind for a while, I was thinking about playing music with a floppy but not like vaser888. I wanted to know if it was possible to put music onto a blank floppy disk then have the drive read the music and play it through an external speaker. Would this be possible with floppies(ys?) or would I need to use CDs?

Thanks
Bod

P.S Hopefully it's not in the wrong forum!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Keep in mind that the floppy has a capacity of 1.44 Mb (double sided 3.5") as the CD has a capacity of 700 Mb.
An audio CD can play max 80 minutes, when WAV is used.
When you would put the WAV format on a floppy, you would be able to store 80 minutes X (700 Mb / 1.44 Mb) = 0.16 minutes.
A well compressed MP3 would give you maybe 10 times longer playtime.

Bertus

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Theoretical maximum transfer rate of 3.5" floppy is 500kbits/S, 62.5kbytes/S, so it would take about 23 seconds to read the entire contents. It would seem to be necessary to read the floppy into a ram buffer and then play the music from the buffer. 23 seconds of 'buffering'?

Bod

Joined Sep 18, 2016
Hello,

Keep in mind that the floppy has a capacity of 1.44 Mb (double sided 3.5") as the CD has a capacity of 700 Mb.
An audio CD can play max 80 minutes, when WAV is used.
When you would put the WAV format on a floppy, you would be able to store 80 minutes X (700 Mb / 1.44 Mb) = 0.16 minutes.
A well compressed MP3 would give you maybe 10 times longer playtime.
Bertus
Theoretical maximum transfer rate of 3.5" floppy is 500kbits/S, 62.5kbytes/S, so it would take about 23 seconds to read the entire contents. It would seem to be necessary to read the floppy into a ram buffer and then play the music from the buffer. 23 seconds of 'buffering'?
Thanks! I didn't mention it but I wasn't going to play one song on one floppy drive I was going to split the music into separate instruments and play those on floppy drives. E.G A guitar chord would be repeated on one floppy disk. The second floppy would have a piano chord. You
get the idea. There would be up to eight floppy drive.

Any idea where I can get working floppy drives for cheap?

Bod

Joined Sep 18, 2016

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
This is a project I had in mind for a while, I was thinking about playing music with a floppy but not like vaser888. I wanted to know if it was possible to put music onto a blank floppy disk then have the drive read the music and play it through an external speaker. Would this be possible with floppies(ys?) or would I need to use CDs?

Thanks
Bod

P.S Hopefully it's not in the wrong forum!

It is possible but not handy.

Normally use SD Card.