Flexible connection of multiple PCBs

alexv

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I need to supply power to a bunch of PCB boards connected in parallel. I need a flexible connection that allows boards to move. I took a positive wire and soldered short wires from each PCB to + wire. I did the same with negative wire. It works but I’m looking for an industrial solution to this problem.

Attachments

alexv

Joined Jul 7, 2009
It looks like I got a unique problem that nobody have to deal with
I need to supply power to a bunch of PCB boards connected in parallel. I need a flexible connection that allows boards to move. I took a positive wire and soldered short wires from each PCB to + wire. I did the same with negative wire. It works but I’m looking for an industrial solution to this problem.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
How much and in what direction(s) do the boards need to move? How often? How quickly?
Did you design the boards? Can you revise them?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It looks like I got a unique problem that nobody have to deal with
You said a flexible connection, not a flexible connector.

There are huge numbers of board to wire connectors but if you don't use the correct connection wire between the connectors the number of flexes will be limited on a product that needs a flexible connection that allows boards to move. You didn't give a expected life-time cycles number so I pointed you to a product that should handle most cases easily.

alexv

Joined Jul 7, 2009
How much and in what direction(s) do the boards need to move? How often? How quickly?
Did you design the boards? Can you revise them?
The boards will be attached to a flexible polymer sheet. The sheet will be rapped around tubes with different diameter. Max angle between the boards is 100 degree.
They will be bend manually so it will take 5-10 seconds to place and hence to bend them
They will be flexed 20-25 times a day 300 days per yer and I need to last them at least 2 years so 15000 cycles in total.
Yes, I deigned these prototype boards and I can redesign them which I'm already doing because I want to put 90 degree connector on the boards to attach the wires. The size of the board is pretty much fixed.

alexv

Joined Jul 7, 2009
You said a flexible connection, not a flexible connector.

There are huge numbers of board to wire connectors but if you don't use the correct connection wire between the connectors the number of flexes will be limited on a product that needs a flexible connection that allows boards to move. You didn't give a expected life-time cycles number so I pointed you to a product that should handle most cases easily.
I said I'm looking for an industrial solution. I've already tried DIY and did not like because it is too time consuming.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The boards will be attached to a flexible polymer sheet. The sheet will be rapped around tubes with different diameter. Max angle between the boards is 100 degree.
They will be bend manually so it will take 5-10 seconds to place and hence to bend them
They will be flexed 20-25 times a day 300 days per yer and I need to last them at least 2 years so 15000 cycles in total.
Yes, I deigned these prototype boards and I can redesign them which I'm already doing because I want to put 90 degree connector on the boards to attach the wires. The size of the board is pretty much fixed.
How much current do you need to supply? The first thing that comes to mind is IDC connectors on ribbon cable. If you used, say, 6 conductor 26AWG ribbon it could handle about .5A per conductor. The connector can handle about 3A per contact. You could use 3 conductors per rail, and get about 1.5A, etc.

The IDC connectors can be placed in parallel anywhere along the wire. You could use epoxy or silastic to reinforce the connections as it seemed necessary. The connectors are cheap, and the parallel connection is inherent to them.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
BTW: My second thought is a flexible PCB which might cost more but given that you only need flex around a tube, it might be really nice.