flat top LED holder - how to secure it

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018
I found the flat top IR LED I needed but am having some difficulties finding an appropriate holder. I've tried some generic clear cases for it, but a small lip at the bottom of the LED prevents a full insertion. So I have tried the black plastic one (attached ) with the flat top LED and it fits ok but I don't know how to secure it. Its really easy to pull the two apart. led holder.jpgflat top LED.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It would be helpful if you gave dimension info for the LED. Based on the holder you showed, are these going to be panel mount?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
LTD holders like the one in the photo have a second part that is a ring that slides on over the back. Without that lock ring they do not hold very well.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I don't know of any plastic holders that secure the flat-top style LEDs. They are typically soldered flat to the PCB and the holes in the chassis line up to make a perfectly flat surface. Usually small dedicated PCBs with only the flat LEDs on one side and, from what I remember, a ground wire and multiple power wires were soldered to one end of the PCB.

as you say, the perfectly cylindrical LEDs without the lower lip don't really stay in the T-5 holders.

Note: I think some members just made up a question based on your photos and a few words of your question. they certainly didn't read your whole question.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
With thet type of LED holder, you don't need a locking ring. First drill a hole in the panel that is a tight fit for the narrow waiste of the holder. Then squeeze the three "legs" together and push it into hole from the front of the panel. Then push a tight fitting LED into the holder from the rear. That will spread the back of the holder out, locking it into the panel.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
With thet type of LED holder, you don't need a locking ring. First drill a hole in the panel that is a tight fit for the narrow waiste of the holder. Then squeeze the three "legs" together and push it into hole from the front of the panel. Then push a tight fitting LED into the holder from the rear. That will spread the back of the holder out, locking it into the panel.
The OP included a photo of his LED - it's the cylindrical flat top type without the bottom flange that his posted holder normally grabs. Look closely at his LED. Perfect cylinder. Trust the OP, he said this type of holder is intended for LEDs with the bottom ridge and it doesn't work for the cylinder flat top LED. He is asking how such LEDs are mounted.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Do you need the front surface of the LED to be flush with the panel?
Are there cosmetic concerns? (That is, do you need a finished look to th exposed partt/

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Hello,
I am looking for a holder for an LED that I can mount on a plate and screw in to secure. the LED should not be able to be pushed in if anyone were playing with it. this will be located in a high traffic area and I am worried that people will mess with it. I am hoping for something flush or recessed. the less it sticks out the better. I may be able to use one of those black plastic rings, just hoping for metal.
You should select an LED with a bead that the holder can grab. Or, glue the LED to the holder you have. The flat walls of the LED you've posted has no chance to be gripped by the holder. Alternatively, you can drill a hole in your panel and fill the hole with a cast able (pourable) resin with some silica or titanium dioxide diffuser mixed in. Then place a PCB with modern SMD LEDs mounted to it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It is entirely possible that the LED is not intended to be mounted, but to simply emit light into the plastic light guide found in many assemblies. That is the application of most LED devices, that they are not individually mounted.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are several options out there that offer a little more professional look to panel mount LED's, already come with various voltage ratings.

1671552263201.png
etc, etc