Flashing firmare for usbasp device (no schematics)

ModestasK

Joined Dec 31, 2018
Hello,
I am pretty new to embedded development so wonder if I could help over here.
I have recently bought new programmer (usbasp), but can't get it working - when connecting to windows machine I am always getting an error that says "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". Tried various things really... downloaded drivers, tried installing manually, automatically and by trying to pick the inf file myself but all times it failed. I am guessing that I am missing the firmware or at least need to flash it with new one.
My device looks like this:
upload_2018-12-31_9-13-19.png
I have marked the 5 pins - the problematic spot. I could not find schematics for this anywhere. The only schematics I found was for 3 pin programmer that is identical to this, but has 3 pins instead of 5 in the marked area.
upload_2018-12-31_9-14-1.png

And for some reasons - all different models of usbasp is called same - "usbasp" :] (should have probably asked the seller if he also have the schematics, but... I did not...)
I also have raspberry 3, which I used for programming my atmega328p, so I could probably flash the usbasp programmer as well.... just not really sure where to start and how to do it properly...
Any advice or pointing to the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!
M

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Here is a schematic I found on the web.

AC-PG-USBASP_03_LRG.jpg
Yours may be slightly different. I have used mine with Windows XP and Windows 7 without any problems. You don't say which version of windows you used.

Les.

ModestasK

Joined Dec 31, 2018
Here is a schematic I found on the web.

View attachment 166806
Yours may be slightly different. I have used mine with Windows XP and Windows 7 without any problems. You don't say which version of windows you used.

Les.
Thanks Les.
I am using raspberry pi for flashing (avrdude). But also have windows 10 when need to write some code and make hex files. If I get this thing working I would be using windows 10 only.
By the way - in the schematics we have 3 jumper positions available and on the device it's marked JP1 and JP21. Do you know how to identify the JP2 and JP3 from the board itself?
Also - since this is not recognized by windows and unidentified by avrdude - do you think attemting to program it using raspberry would work? Like connecting the thing via USB to raspberry (for 5V) and then wiring the appropriate pins to miso/mosi/sck/gnd to raspberry pins. (of course making sure that jumper is on JP2)

Thanks in advance!

ModestasK

Joined Dec 31, 2018
Hello,

There are programmers available with and without JP2 (it looks like that one is used to program the programmer itself).
https://protostack.com.au/shop/accessories/usbasp-avr-programmer/
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1LO...A8-ATMEGA128-Support-Win7-64/32727211265.html

Bertus
Thanks Bertus,
That was exactly I spoke in the beginning - there are 2 models (one with 3 pins and another one with 5). I read their description in aliexpress, but I am still not sure which 2 pins correspond to JP2.
Small clarification of what I am doubting:
upload_2018-12-31_15-52-2.png

ModestasK

Joined Dec 31, 2018
Hello,

This picture clearly shows JP1 and JP2 (not populated):

View attachment 166821

Bertus
Yeah - that looks..... controversial ... the chip with 3 pins might look like it's same as with 5 just missing the 2 pins but the one with 5 pins have these marked on it:
upload_2018-12-31_15-58-46.png
So these 2 pins that were not in model with 3 pins are now marked a JP1. They were either switched or something.... Sorry if I sound stupid, but I better ask several dumb questions than burn my raspberry :D
Do you still think that the 2 pins on the right are actually same JP2 pins that are in Les' schematics above? Even though that on the chip it actually sais JP1...

ModestasK

Joined Dec 31, 2018
Hello,

In the schematic that @LesJones posted, JP1 is a 3 pins header for choosing the voltage to the programming header.
JP2 is the programming jumper.

Bertus
Alright. Was not aware that the schematic is not the right for the 5 pin model...
So - I should basically use the JP1 (if looking at the 5 pin model) to program my device, right? or in other words - to program a programator or the chip on it.

ModestasK

Joined Dec 31, 2018
Managed to flash it with raspberry quiet easily. And - most important - no casualties ;]
Thanks Bertus.
Though it looks like my device is not being recogniszed by Windows 10 machine. Googling found countless other posts about the same issue so - I am not alone having this problem, when device is always shining red when connected. Will keep looking.

Thanks again!