Fitting New Switch to Release Boot Window Help

zakmuh

Joined Jul 25, 2016
Hi,

I'm here to get some advice on fitting a new external switch on the boot door to release boot window in my car 2003 Kia Sorento.

There's a button on the dashboard to release the boot window, which also can be released by the key on the door. Now I want to add a (number 3 on the sketch) switch right next to the latch, so that I can simply press and open the window without the key or without going to the cockpit to press the button (basically the window release motor will be having 3 switches now).

Please could anyone help me with the wiring - from where I can draw the + power from and do I need a relay (sorry, what's a 'relay' used for?) or anything like that?

I've attached a quick sketch to show what I'm talking about.

Cheers

Window motor.jpg

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If the boot key or dash button operate without the ignition on, then just parallel the extra button to the boot key lock.

If you can take pictures of the boot lock and motor wiring it will be more helpful., or download the wiring manual.

zakmuh

Joined Jul 25, 2016
Thanks Dave,

I'll get some pics soon after I get the car back from the garage. Do you know any websites where I can download the wiring diagram/manual for 2003 Kia sorento?

One thing though, if I did a parallel connection, if it happened to press both buttons simultaneously, wound't it burn the solenoid?

Cheers

zakmuh

Joined Jul 25, 2016
No, it only works when the car is unlocked, and it also locks the car back when any door is not opened within a min. I've got this feature in my other car Peugeot 407SW. It's comes very handy!

Basically, I should unlock the car with the fob first, and then press the button to release the window.

Last edited:

zakmuh

Joined Jul 25, 2016
Does this wiring diagram make sense?

What electronic component I have to use, if I don't want to disconnect the key switch? Would that be a relay switch?

Cheers

Window switch.jpg