Fishing Thread

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Anyone here go fishing?

I know T06 does. Do you have a close season in Norway?

We have a close season for coarse fish here in England. I could go fishing for stocked Rainbow trout, but nothing beats fishing in Scotland. I'll have to wait until I pass my driving test before I go up myself. Soon. :(

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
As a rule, fishermen generally only lie about The One That Got Away, which, to be fair, should only be regarded as a partial lie, given that the fish could eventually grow to the proportions stated by its would-be captor, unless of course that dastardly fish engineers another narrow escape off a baited hook years later, resulting in an even greater exaggeration of its size by the next fisherman.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Anyone here go fishing?

I know T06 does. Do you have a close season in Norway?

We have a close season for coarse fish here in England. I could go fishing for stocked Rainbow trout, but nothing beats fishing in Scotland. I'll have to wait until I pass my driving test before I go up myself. Soon. :(
In norway all lakes and rivers is landed property. It is up to the landowner to decide what to do. The landowner can prohibit fishing or sell fishing permit. If a place is open for fishing. Anyone under the age of 18 may fish free of charge. With the exception of Salmon rivers. It is rules to protect protect spawning trout. But they are set local. As the trout have earlier spawning season in highland/upland areas. For anadromous salmon/trout/charr it is a separate set of protection rules. Then it comes to fishing in salt water. It is much simpler. It is open for everyone to fish on a non commercial basis. Even with nets up to certain length. For some species you have to let the small ones back into the sea. For a few rare species like lobster. You will find very strict protection rules.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I fish sometimes with my father. He always catches a fish or three. I seldom get any.

This one time we were sitting knees-to-knees in a small 8' Pioneer:

(Illustration photo. I found it on the net, and don't know who it is)

Which is a pretty small boat for two grown ups. We had the exact same fishing equipment and did exactly the same movements, and he got three cods in 20 minutes, and I didn't get any.

Another time we're fishing for pike. We're sitting in my canoe. He's in front, and I'm in the back. He gets four or five, and I get only a small one.

Some say pike is no good. Too many bones. Well, I agree that there are too many bones, but with mums receipt, we make delicious pike cakes.

Attachments

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
This one time we were sitting knees-to-knees in a small 8' Pioneer:

(Illustration photo. I found it on the net, and don't know who it is)
QUOTE]

Your picture reminds me that I am thinking about getting this boat http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...-Fishing-Boat&i=432298&aID=504M1&merchID=4006 as a tender for my sailboat. I would make a hard cover and store gear in it when it's not being used, and tie it behind my sailboat in it's slip.

As for fishing, when I was younger, that's all I wanted to do. I've thought about taking it up again, but I fear that the water isn't as clean as it used to be, although I swim in the river all the time. That's probably just as bad.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
In norway all lakes and rivers is landed property. It is up to the landowner to decide what to do. The landowner can prohibit fishing or sell fishing permit. If a place is open for fishing. Anyone under the age of 18 may fish free of charge. With the exception of Salmon rivers. It is rules to protect protect spawning trout. But they are set local. As the trout have earlier spawning season in highland/upland areas. For anadromous salmon/trout/charr it is a separate set of protection rules. Then it comes to fishing in salt water. It is much simpler. It is open for everyone to fish on a non commercial basis. Even with nets up to certain length. For some species you have to let the small ones back into the sea. For a few rare species like lobster. You will find very strict protection rules.
We have lots of similar protections for the salmon like barbless hooks and ladder systems for them to climb up damns and stuff. Its actually really cool to see how the salmon fishery is regulated around the world and some of the techniques they use.

Speaking of fishing did everyone get to see Calvin the Callico Lobster?

They found em at a resturant about to get eaten then someone donated him to an aquarium. Callico's are very rare, 1 in 30 million, where as Blue's are 1 in 2 million.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009

my 15lb'er.

the boys and thier 15lb'er

I caught a 20lb'er but we didn't have the camera.

All toll, 4 of us over 4 days caught 1-20lb, 2-15lbs, 8-10lbs, and as the wieght went down from there, the numbers went up. I'd be guessing about 300 fish. We did retain several fat pickeral for supper one night. All else were released.

wonderful week in northern Saskatchewan

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Biggest fish I ever caught was a 17" (5 lb?) smallmouth bass, and that was probably when I was about 16. I'm sure I had a bigger one on the hook a couple years later, but I never actually saw it. It snapped the line before I could get it in the boat. I haven't been fishing for what seems like ages though. Too busy with work and things, I never got the chance. Hopefully when I get a real job, I can have weekends free to do things like go fishing. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

A nice fish is a reason to smile
A good catch can save the day
And even a bad day fishing
Is better than a good day at work

--K. James

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ GetdeviceInfo, Pictures,lake,fish a 10 all the way.Our fishing in South Florida

has to be a one. Bad water from sewage outfalls ,chemicals from surgar cane

growers in the Everglades. Bahamas is where the fish are down here. Never

waste your money on fishing charter in South Florida. Maybe the Fla.Keys.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The world record tarpon is 194.5lbs.

Show me a pic of your 230 pounder and I'll show you a pic of the great white I caught kayak fishing.
Thats the flyfishing world record, not the rod and reel record. Heres the rod and reel record holder, a lil bigger at 286 .. I can easily put you on 200+ sized tarpon every night.
http://saltyshores.com/wordpress/20...all-tackle-world-record-tarpon-at-286lbs-9oz/

You guys gotta realize youhave fly fishing records then rod and reel records. The fly fishing records are alwayss way lower then RR records. I say #230 because thats what the captain and first mate guestimated it at. Their too big and too many to weight and measure every fish in the tarpon run.

Last edited: